Anyone do Just Ponds/"Water gardens"?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by me1223, Jul 10, 2006.

1. me1223

me1223 LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if anyone on here does just ponds/water gardens as their entire landscaping job, so you would only take on a job which involves pond work, however may include landscaping if asked to. Does anyone do this part time in addition to their regular 9-5 job? Do you think it would be possible to do it, or is the demand just not there?

2. mljt1956

mljt1956 LawnSite Member

Not sure what the demand is there in Ontario but here in NY there is a big demand. Ponds were a hobby of mine for years. I have 3 and am thinking about putting in another.

When my sons were in college, I started a pond business to keep them busy in the summer while out of school. The biggest demand for installing ponds is during the spring and early summer months. I keep adding to it, first by offering monthly maintenance programs, then weekly maintenance programs, pond sitting for when people are on vacation (feeding fish) then added landscaping.

I am in the process of scalling back at this time. Hope to be fully retired by the end of the year.

There is pleanty of work and you can make a decent living.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the market is still evolving, but thats all some people do is install ponds. Unfortunately its something that depends on the economy because its really a luxury for most people.

I am thinking of dropping my maintenance work next year so I can have more time for ponds (and a few other things).

4. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

ive been installing, repairing and maintaining ponds for over 6 years now.. make a pretty good living at it. I work alone with a helper every once and awhile.
    a little advertising and work of mouth..you'll be on your way/.

5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been looking at getting alot more in ponds...maybe even making ponds most if not all of my business. I did one in the spring, and caught the bug. I have been learning everything I can about ponds and waterfalls. The next phone book for next year I will have the biggest ad for ponds and waterfalls in the phonebook.

6. mljt1956

mljt1956 LawnSite Member

Try Val-Pak or the Money Mailer. I had very good luck with Val-Pak.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what % return did this yeild?

8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking of leaning that way, and even had almost a solid month of pond work, but I'm finding that I want to do a variety, even if just pruning, ponds and some design.

The niche is there.

I think the way to make the transition is to advertise heavier in the desired niche, and bid slightly higher in the niche which you want to phase out.