Anyone do Ohio steak & shakes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardsmith, Dec 10, 2007.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

hey guys
    I'm from north central ohio & was contracted by a guy near akron/canton to mow & plow the steak & shakes near me over the last 2 yrs.
    Well to make a long story short, we submitted the bills & he hasn't paid us, & always promising to do so. Theres always a sob story of why or that something broke down. The 1st yr things were pretty much on the up & up. This yr he has racked up a substantial bill, & I contacted the steak & shake office, & all they told me was we paid him, you need to get ahold of him. But he won't return calls or anything, & lives about an hour away. Anyone else done contract work for steak & shake around central / east ohio / cleveland areas? Please help. Thanks

2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Was this company CMR? There are a few of them that go by different names in nthe Akron area that have bilked contractors, and companies, like Blockbuster, for instance, out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

There are about 3 or 4 aliases that they use. I got torched on a
    Blockbuster, and a Circuit City in Northern Ohio.

Stop all work now. Send one more letter demanding full payment. Send it certified mail. Wait two weeks, if no satisfactory answer, go to small claims court. Don't delay.

3. yardsmith

from Ohio

it was cypress property mgt.
    he actually called back in July & said he had trouble with them paying (yeah right), & I lost out on mowing the places for the rest of the summer too.
    He won the contract for 50-60 st & sh's in the akron canton cleveland mansfield areas
    I'd LOVE to hear if anyone else got screwed from the same guy, or if they got paid....

4. yardsmith

from Ohio

i've taken ppl to court before, & all its done is take MORE money out of my pocket, then I still have to chase them down & find out where they bank, etc. I have a little more info to work with in this case.....

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

NCLS did you used to cut Circuit City, I thought they used an in house person that was over maintenance, I think his name was Wayne. That ain't right. I learned early every time your at a place like that and complete your task you should get a "sign off" on the completed work that was completed in fact we require commercial properties to send us a job request authorizing the work before we begin. Doing it that way requires principals to be more responsible.

6. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Blockbuster and Circuit City had a written agreement with CMR. I had a written agreement with CMR. Both those companies paid CMR. I sued all three in small claims court. The judge threw out my suit against both companies. Since CMR was in bankruptcy, he threw that out too. My claim got put in with all the other ones against CMR. I still get mailings from the bankruptcy court in Akron. I'll probably see 25 to 30 cents on the dollar.