Anyone do Rehab's?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BCFLawnLandscape, Feb 8, 2006.

1. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've had quite a few calls lately from investors who do rehab properties. They basically want a good clean up, beds created and/or mulched, bushes trimmed etc. Anyone else getting alot of these calls? If so do you do them or no? pro's and con's? Thanks!

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think the big CON is that they usually want cheap cheap cheap! They don't care about what things will look like in 6 months or a year all they need is an instant attractive property for the least amount of money.

Be careful about working for realators, they know how to become your "friend" and will have you doing free work for them in no time.

3. Green Fields

Green Fields LawnSite Member

i had one this past fall that sounds a lot like your description. Needed about 5 yds of mulch, bushes never trimmed all year and the beds never were weeded throughout the season. I asked them time and time again throughout the year to at least spray the weeds and they never wanted to, so when it came time to put the house up on the market(Builder owned it and was renting it out) they asked me to tidy it up, I did, and I popped them like I would everybody else. I work with a few realtors and they do try to take advantage of you, just stay the course and charge them the regular price.

4. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, last year I did three complete front entry designs for some little houses in town. The rehab guy is son-in-law to one of my best clients. Well, to make a long story short, I didn't make great money doing it because his budget was so strict. I did use high quality plant material and charged him decent for it, I got him to realize that the home cheapo plants weren't gonna work. I made some half-decent money though, and he helped me put it in at all 3 houses, so it saved labor costs. I came away with 3 cheaply but nicely done houses for my portfolio of designs. My advice, don't discount your rate if at all possible. I did that once , and on the last house he expected me to do it for even less. I came right out and told him I needed to make a living too. He said no more about it after. If it werent that he wasn't a friend, I'd have been screwed right there. Fortunately, he was so pleased with the final results, he scheduled me for another one coming up in April. Hopefully...payup payup payup payup payup payup payup

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We did several last year and have a few already lined up as soon as the weather cooperates. The most important thing when doing a "flip" is to be as specific in your contract as to exactly what will be done and at what price. We did 3 for one guy last year, all quick one day reedge/bare spot hydro/ mulch freshen/ trim/mow/ cleanup / containers w/ annuals , etc. The houses bring a little more with an instant curb appeal, and if you can sell your services correctly, there is a good , quick profit to be made in sprucing up flips. The market is starting to come back down here now, so I expect to see a buyer's market here by summer. BTW- ours were all in the 200-400K selling range, so 1-2K for improvements and curb appeal can easily be recovered in a hot market.