1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do shrub prunning and trimming only?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jdwilliams1, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

Just curious if anyone has made a living providing top notch shrub trimming? I love to do that work and have been doing it since I was about 12 on my parents house, before the gas trimmers.

Anyway would be interested in knowing? If so how many times a year do you try to sell to your customers?
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know if Indy is the place to be exclusively trimming. If you want to come to Phx I could keep you busy.
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

If you were going to specialize like that, I think you would need to know about growth regulators (and be certified to use them) and would have to include tree pruning as well. You would have to be able to get to hedgerows that were 15 feet tall. If you could do those things, I'd sub work to you for sure.
  4. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

That is what I was thinking. I have pretty extensive knowledge about this. As long as the trees did not get too large at least while I was getting started. I have been doing this since 1984
  5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Shrub/small tree pruning isn't my only service but I do an awful lot of it along with IPM services. I think you could build a business out of it if you set your mind to it and being in the right location would really help too.

I worked as an arborist for a long time and loved doing high quality tree work so for me doing similar type pruning on smaller plants is really enjoyable and I can work solo without all the headaches associated with a full scale tree business. Basically I offer shrub and flower bed maintenance along with the full compliment of IPM services and that keeps me on the property on a regular basis. If I only did pruning I may only be on the property a couple times a year which means I would have to develop a large number of customers to stay busy.
  6. PHS

Forgot to mention I only handle trees up to about 15-20'. Anything bigger than that I sub out to a tree service that does good work and doesn't want to be involved with small stuff.
  7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I have much the same approach, philosphy and business plan. IPM is the way to go. Spray, pray and run operations like Chem Lawn simply can't have an effective IPM program. They don't scout properties on a regular weekly basis, and don't use cultural and engineering controls as any part of their plan, as far as I know.

I sub out my few accounts with 12 to 15 foot hedges. If I can't get it with my 12 foot step ladder, I don't do it. I also enjoy getting out the hand shears, and selectively prune to encourage air circulation and new growth under the outter canopy. I learned that technique at a state owned arboretum here. There are far too many gas operated hedge hackers out there. They can make nice lines, but more is needed to keep a shrub or hedge healthy and to avoid the plant from outgrowing it's location.

This is what I use to try and differentiate myself from the Chem-Lawns and mow and blow guys.... besides, it's a lot more interesting and fun.
  8. PHS

Formal hedges aren't very popular here so I can do almost everything with Felcos and customers are easy to sell on hand pruning. In fact most of the time they are requesting hand pruning. In CA where more formal sheared hedges are common I found it much more difficult to sell hand pruning on any plants. The customers' mindset was like "the boxwood is supposed to be sheared so everything else is supposed to be too you idiot :)".

PCSLAWN LawnSite Member

Will you please contact me At 563 576 9281 Mike
    I would Like To know some tips on Shub triming As I am New in the Lawncare feild Trying to get out of my factory job.. thank you very much:usflag:
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I hate it and try to avoid them like the plague. Folks here who will pay a fair price for lawn care will not pay squat for shrubs. I have actually been offered 4 dollars an hour in a high end area to do 7 acres of overgrown shrubs:dizzy: