Anyone doing ballfields.... infields??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 29, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering if anyone here maintains ballfields, and more importantly the infield part. I do 3 for the township and 2 for the Lions club nearby and am trying to find something that works for keeping the weeds out of the infields (dirt). I realize I can get round-up, Prosecutor, all those and spray or spot spray the weeds when they pop up, but I'm looking for something I could put down so they don't pop up.

I use Treflan in my planting areas to keeps the weeds away, wondering if this would work on the infields as well?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I maintain a ball feild, and I dont do any weed control in the dirt areas. Its controled when they drag the infeild before games, and there is no weeds at all. They are there in the off season though.

3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Dragging the infield would destroy any pre-emergent barrier you might apply.....

4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I maintain two ballfields and I've have from time to time hit with Round-up to knock any new growth from coming up but best method is a weekly dragging throughout the season just like mowing. This will help to keep to ball field mix from allowing seeds to get to germination.

5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

There's no need for a Pre-E on the infield "Skinned " area, dragging should be all you need to do. Occassionally you might use Round-up on the edges to straighten them out and decrease inproachment into the infield mix.

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

On a similar note, how are you guys handling maintenance of the infield edge? Sweeping infield mix out of grass back into infield? Anybody actually use an edger?

Is the infield mix flush with the grass, or slightly lower?

Thanks

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Powersweep works the best. I maintain athletic fields that I am proud to say are A-1 Top-Notch. I do football, soccer, baseball, and softball.
    Other than saying that the guys above are right on about the dragging, I would ALSO like to re-enforce their comments about the use of pesticides on the skins. There is just no sense. If using glyphosate, you are continuously chasing new growth, and even then, you continously have weeds that are there (they have to be there before they can be sprayed). There is no pre-emegent that will work, as it is alway being ran and slid on, and needs to be dragged. You cannot use any sort of residual on the fields either, as there are none labeled for ball fields. That's the last thing we would want to do, is hear about some kid that has a festering infection in his leg that was brought on by an exposure to Imazapyr to an open cut or scrape.
    The school system I maintain these fields for was only using a grid mat to drag out their skins. This is NOT enough to penetrate the soil surface to alieve the weeds. It has to be done with a nail drag, also. Mine is made with 3 rows of 3/8" bolts and has weights on it. I do this, then the maintenance crew from the school drags their mat and stripes the fields. I do all the fert., weed control, strip edging, and warning tracks.

8. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

From my experience at Comerica Park I can tell you that there are no chemical controls used on the infield skin. The infield mix is 65% clay topped with Turface,which is nail dragged in to a depth of 4 inches. Nail dragging is done daily and mat dragging is done twice a day when the field is not in use. Water is the key to keeping the skin playable. You should strive to keep the skin's moisture level as even as possible. Your tools for this are: Nail drag, irrigation heads, 1 inch hose, tarp, Turface QUick dry, roller squeegee, Turface MVP, etc.

The infield mix is exactly level with the turf surrounding it. Turface should be raked back onto the skin after use, then rake the grass clippings into little piles and remove. This prevents the formation of a lip, which is DANGEROUS.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad you mentioned the lip, which was something I was thinking of mentioning, but didn't. This is something that should be STRONGLY AVOIDED. For those that are unfamiliar with this, basically, it is a ridge that forms that can cause a rolling (or bouncing) ball to fly up unpredictably.