1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone downsize there tractor?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by cutbetterthanyou, Mar 22, 2013.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently have a mahindra 2615 with 700ish hrs on it.Its a great tractor.I recently got a skid loader. Since i got the skid i never use the tractor for any dirt work. I was thinking of selling the tractor, and buying a kubota bx2200 that i found a good deal on.Reason being, I can probally put a about 4000 in my pocket on the value difference on something im not useing that much, and i think the smaller tractor would be a better fit. I think it is small enough to put on some sidewalks for snow removal, it has a belly deck for a back up lawn mower if needed, can do all the same 3 pt hitch task as the mahindra, lighter for any work on existing lawns, maybe get a aerater for it and offer that. Any thoughts, I know most ppl's mindsets are big=better, but i have the skid for bigger. Also whats some thoughts on values mahindra 2616 FEL 700ish hrs hydrostatic condition is ok paints a little faded, headlight busted,hood bent and little, glass in dash broke. kubota bx 2200 FEL belly deck 1200ish hrs its ok to paint is really faded,tires a little dryroted,needs seat. I was thinking clean mine up some fix some stuff around $8000 i think i can get the kubota for about 4000.
  2. cutbetterthanyou

Also how big of a tiller,landscape rake,and bushogg do you think the bx2200 can handle?
  3. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

4. cutbetterthanyou

Thanks, i guess thats another factor then. I cant really get away with using my same att. from my mahindra.
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The kubota bx line has very low ground clearance, thus very limited lift height on the 3 point hitch! They are fine homeowner machines but not very practical in the realm of commercial landscaping!
  6. cutbetterthanyou

Does anyone think 4000 is cheap enough to buy and flip it for a quick buck?
  7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Likley you could, tractor prices are all over the place.
  8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

What size skid did you buy ? In your area I wouldnt bush hog anything with out a cab unless its during the winter. You guys have some really agressive insects down there. Chiggers, green heads , no see ums and on and on. Each piece has its own place in our industry , its really nice to have both if you can. Our 3240 Kubota sits alot but come aeration time it rolls, we also run a 36" debris blower on it for leaves and plow in the winter , if and when we get snow.
  9. jdo150

jdo150 LawnSite Member

I have a deere 2720 and I love it, I got it because its smaller and I can use it a lot for work on turf like spreading mulch at condos and I got a backhoe on it for doing plantings and small drainage work. I use it a couple days everyweek I find my skidsteer spends more time at the shop. I think for my operation buying a smaller tractor was a great investment.
  10. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork LawnSite Member

I had a kubota l3410 tractor with a 9 foot backhoe with 2000 hours on it and a old six ton equipment trailer to move it. I have a very small landscaping company and it seemed like I was spending more time cleaning up after it then working with it. I sold the tractor and trailer, and bought a brand new Massey ferguson gc 2500 tlb and a new 14ft landscape trailer to move it, it was the best move I ever made, it's easy to move, easy on turf, lifts and digs nicely. It is the equivalent of having three or four employees.