Anyone downsizing into solo operation next year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfcutters Plus, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering if anyone is downsizing their business to a one man operation next year.I did this year and loved it.I'll stay solo in 2005. :D

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Have always been solo - can not imagine going any other way - I have a full time job with employees, I do not ever want to get into anything with employees again.

Solo is simple
    Solo makes money
    Solo is efficient

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just the opposite...more employees + more equipment = more $$$ for yours truly :D

4. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I also downsized this year, i kept a weeks worth of accounts
    the ones i make money on and sold most of my equipment
    much easier now.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I downsized to Solo this past year, and loved it. Only had a part time worker for about 1 1/2 months.

Plan on being solo again for 2005

6. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

This is something I've been considering. Ive been considering only keeping about 2 days worth of work per week (my best clients) and going to school. I was wondering what the benefits are of downsizing vs. growing. I need to do one or the other in order to find the time to go to school and I just feel that downsizing would be easier than upsizing plus less hassels.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when I downsized I had less stress, and actually more money in my pocket, and more time to do things with the Mrs.

Will I ever go back to having crews? Yeah, I probably will, but I don't know when.

8. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a solo operator as well, the wife helpes out with the secretary stuff and it's been good. buying good quality equipment makes life a lot easier as well. I'm looking to buy " the little tipster 2 " this year to save on unloading and strain on the back since i do it all myself. I like the idea that if you decide to get rid of your truck for a newer one, it's not hard taking out of and puting into another. one drawback thou to being solo, i'f your defly ill, no one's out there able to do the work for ya and make the money.

9. southcut

southcut LawnSite Member

I am going solo after 3 years of 3 or more people on my crew. I can make just as much money myself without the part timers and headaches. The great thing is that I am dropping a few accounts and one of my employees is going to start a business with them. He is a good friend as well and is still going to farm out the pesticide business to me.

10. SSmith

SSmith Banned

A business ran correctly CAN and WILL make more money than a solo operation. There is nothing wrong with solo. Some people have different aspirations. I want every contract in SW Ohio and am not gonna be happy until I get it. I want every commercial job. I want every landscaping job. Headaches? Of course! It goes with the territory.