1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone downsizing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We do 4 U, May 28, 2003.

1. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I am giving up some accounts this year so I can spend more time with the family. Anyone else doing this?
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Me too.I had more than I could handle last year.This year I just kept good accounts,easy,good ones that ain't hard on me or my equip.:)
  3. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I tightened the reigns also. Had 60 accounts last year. Got together a contract for everyone to sign. Only 25 signed! I am so much happier. These are medium to high end accounts that signed back up. All the late payers, complainers, non-toy and garden hose movers passed which is fine with me.

I am actually making more money this year because i have time for so much more, than fighting with theses other idiots.

Its nice doing things my way!
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Just added a fifth crew!

I decided to move up some and picked up some good medium accounts; 1@ $25000.00 per year 1@ $18500.00 per year 1@ $16800.00 per year 1@ $16000.00 per year and a spraying contract @ $14000.00 per year. As well as handfull of smaller $8000.00 to 10000.00 per year accounts. Plus I've been pushing landscaping changes and extra services which have went over very well.

Of course expanding has it's down side - buying more eqiupment!
    2003 Dodge with a 5.7 HEMI
    2003 Toro Z152 w/trac-vac
    2003 Toro 48" fixed deck
    2003 Toro 36" fixed deck
    3 new Shindawia T230's
    2 new Sthil 420's
    new 18' landscaping trailer

Oh yeah, a new clipboard for the new crew!
  5. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been slowly adding, but pulling back the reigns as far as travel distance goes. Picked up a couple good part timers so I have 1 on 1 day during the week and 2 for larger jobs.
    Not sure whether another crew is next. I am leaning toward more diversification in landscape like work and renovations.
    A little more time with the family this year.
  6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do not try to get more work. I do no advertising, but it seems that I get so many referals, Most work for or are friend of existing accounts so it is hard to turn the work down.

I have a few that may drop yet this year.(closing, moving ect) I will not mind at all if that happens.
  7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I dropped 3 commercial accounts and over a dozen residential, pulled my ad from the Yellow Pages, and told the wife to refer all new clients to a friend in the biz. I feel a lot better, don't see a big difference in the money, and have a lot more time for me. I started lifting weights, running and bicycling to get back into shape. I feel great!
  8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

I USED to lift weights, run and bike to get in shape BEFORE I got started in this business. Now I'm in better shape with NO lifting, running, and little biking! One of the things I like about this biz.:dizzy:
  9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Downsize ?

I wish I could do this full time ! I am still trying to go full time ! I wished I had the accounts to make a living full time! :cry: I am getting better accounts ! As for these so called medium accounts at $16000 to $25000 Per year ! Those would be considered huge here! There would be an all out war for one of those here !
    Medium here is like an acre of total grounds on like an assisted living building. Of that maybe 30000 feet of total lawn area! I have just been told I will be taking over a contract this fall on a Nursing home which is one the largest properties here in the city, it is 2.11 acres of lawn area plus 250+ linear feet of shrubs and hedges and I got it for less than one third of that $25000 contract mentioned earlier on in this thread! You guys must be rolling in Money! Congrats! I hoping to gross $65000 next year with 12 commercial and 20 residential accounts ! This year won't even be close to that !
  10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

What size are these accounts you stated above? What exactly are you doing for them for that price?

You sleeping with the wives or what?!!??