Anyone else barter?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I currently mow a lot for a car dealership every couple of weeks, takes me about 30 minutes each time.. In return, they change the oil in both of our vehicles the entire year...

I mow two yards, both 12K SQF yards, for two guys that sided our house in April (I paid for the material)...

And I mow another yard, again about 12K SQF, for a guy thats done some electrical work for me....

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i do similar...
    I mow about 45 yards...all for people that give me benjamins in return.

Does that count?

trevor

3. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I'm in the process of bartering some work for a boat that one of my customers has. I've also trimmed a customers lawn for an almost full 12X250' roll of geogrid that was forgot at his house by a landscape company the previous year. (thats all he wanted for it) Barting can be great.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I do my accountants pruning for my acounting work every year.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I exchange services with my accountant and my sign guys.Everything is always on the record , though. Money exchanges both hands, just not as much as a normal charge...

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

When you do barter, just make sure you take into account ALL your costs, not just your labor cost. Ive seen this all too many times.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Since I do a bunch of houses on a golf course. I pick up a ton a golf balls. (to keep from breaking windows). I fill a 5 gallon bucket in 2 months. I trade a buddy at the fire house a 5-gallon bucket of balls to detail my truck. Two 6-gallon buckets to detail the two cars. He is happy, I am happy. His wife isn't, since he will be at the golf course now and not spending time at work detailing more cars. Takes all year to get the balls. He does one every couple of months when I fill a bucket.

I trade a lot of work for equipment, or for other work. I brush hogged my barber's 2 acre field for a year worth of free hair cuts.

Its all none taxable income.

8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

2 acre fields for haircuts for a year. I only get 6 haircuts a year at $10 each. How much are you paying down there.

9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I mow for a customer who owns some townhouses in Destin Fla. I just swap work for a weeks stay.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot to state thats 1 hair cut per month for both me and my dad. $10 per cut, plus $2.50 tip. So 24 hair cuts is $240 a year, plus tips which would be another $60. It only took 3 hours to cut the field. So $300 worth of free hair cuts for 3 hours of work. Not a bad deal. You can't beat $100 an hour. Once again, he is happy and I am happy (along with my father)