1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

anyone else been hit by a car

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michael14, Mar 29, 2012.

1. michael14

michael14 LawnSite Member

I was edging by a busy highway last week and i kept looking back to see of anything was coming. I guess I didn't see her but while I was edging I felt like someone hauled off an hit me in the back with a bat of something. So I jerked up and saw this car goin down three road with the mirror hanging off and as much as I was hurting I busted out Laughing after seeing it. I just kept goin but had to stop for gas and she pulls up and asked me to pay to fix her car. Is that crazy or what!???!!

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Wht did she say? I've come close, I know there are regs on wearing safety colored shirts or vest while working near a rd or so close to one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. michael14

michael14 LawnSite Member

She asked what happened and I said you hit me, then she said no you hit me. And there aren't any regs on clothing or anything here, atleast not for mowers.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

So did you get arrested for punching her in the face or no???

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody shouldn't be allowed to reproduce

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Pedestrians always have the right of way. She is supposed to maintain control of her vehicle at all times, and that certainly wasn't the case with you.

I hope you got her lisence plate #, and/or called the cops on her. She needs to at least get a large ticket/fine. On top of that, you may start having trouble down the road with your back, and you should have this all on record with the local LEA. If she took that attitude with you after hitting you, she's obviously careless and callous, and she'll more than likely hit someone else one day too.

7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Your wrong! There is an organization called OSHA look up the reg on your state site. A class 2 safety vest is required for ANY ROAD SIDE WORK UNDER 50mph. class 3 safety vest is for 50 mph and over. Those are VA laws, I don't about your state. However a $25 safety vest and a few 48 inch safety cone might save your life one day as they have me for the last year . Hope your doing well, just don't wana smashed lawn guys on the news at night.:)

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

OSHA doesn't apply to companies that don't fall under OSHA's jurisdiction.

Although it is a good idea to wear safety vests working roadside.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Only in a crosswalk. Anarchy would rein if pedestrians had the right of way everywhere.

If you walk down the middle of the road and someone accidentally hits you, it's your fault.

If you see someone walking in the road and hit them then it's your fault. You are required to maintain a safe lookout and attempt to avoid an accident if possible.

Many pedestrians get hit and killed in the roadway and no charges are filed.

I want to know if the OP had any kind of warnings out to traffic that there was a man working on the side of the road?

10. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I rarely need to work at the roadside. Residential streets mainly, but nothing where cars are traveling over 40 MPH.

Last season I had a job at a property on a busy road (posted speed 45-55mph can't recall), and as such, I donned my safety vest that I keep in the truck just in case.
    I swear to God that it was like a magnet to vehicles. I watched as car after car came closer and closer to the white line as they approached me. It was like I was worth points for whoever hit me or something. It was weird.