1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else big on using ex-uhaul/budget/ryder boxtrucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lyube, May 14, 2009.

1. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

I know my boss likes to buy them around 100k and attach a folding ramp to the rear. These are the e-350 15' trucks with box on the back.

Anyone else go this way as far as transportation? It's a relatively secure way of transporting stuff and a cinch to secure quickly.

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

how is your relationship with buying ex-Ryder trucks?

3. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean?

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i mean when you buy these trucks...Ryder, Uhaul, etc... do the salesmen seem to be wanting to deal? Are they like any other used truck salesmen or are they more motivated to sell because of the fact they are a large multi-national company?

do these guys seems to treat you well or is it like going into a walmart and buying something off the shelf?

5. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure how he buys them, but he does. The new one still has outlines from Budget on the sides, and the old one still has Uhaul in a few places.

I will ask.

6. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Ilike the idea of enclosed trucks over trailers but need to find a ramp system locally. I can't afford an SLT. Any ideas?

7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an ex-budget GMC3500 with 16' box. Got it with 125k and it's been great so far.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I drove a 14' u haul and if you hit the gas then hit the brake you can hop the whole truck down the road. Most fun I ever had!

9. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

Inside the e-350 is a trimmer rack system, 2 diesel 60/72 ZTRS, 1 21, 2 36" walk behinds, 3 trimmers, 2 blowers, few gallons of gas, air compressor, chains, 3 bodies...

Think the truck is overloaded?

10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I believe the down fall is needing dot number, cdl, and medical card if you go with a bigger box not sure about gvwr though on the length you mentioned. That would have to be a long ramp to get that high wouldn't it or one with a curve so you don't bottom out the mower on top. People really beat those trucks put water in the gas to return them and everything I know someone that is a mechanic for them and people tear them up engine wise.