Anyone else core aerating this early?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Toro 455, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

My fall core aerating is done! We got a little wisp of rain from Hurricane Isac, then the storms moved thru Saturday. I went out and aerated like crazy between the two. I got some good 2" cores.
    Now with the rain from the storms on top of the aeration & fertilizer I'll finally get to mow some grass!
    This is the eariest I've ever done fall core aeration. Anyone else aerating this early?

2. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I've always thought you could aerate any time of the season as long as the ground was soft enough to pull a plug.

3. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

That's true. I've heard of places core aerating 5 times a year. I was talking about the more typical fall treatment of aerate-fall fert-broadleaf control. Preparing the lawn for winter.

4. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

We start ours this month.

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I been spiking since we got the 4'' from the hurricane.
    Soon I'll start plugging. Myself I rather plug when I know I'm done mowing for the year.Then I put last treatment down with the plugs.
    Most of the time I start in Nov.

6. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

Been going strong in WI and MN.

7. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Yes since the end of June. Believe it or not some of my callers here in Central Florida are concerned that it's nearly too late to aerate this year. I don't know where they get their info from sometimes?

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Signs went up yesterday, doing estimates ,been so dry here the ground was like cement.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Aerating in dry and hot conditions is not ideal. The only aerating I have done so far is on the lawns I am slice seeding. My main batch will wait until we get some rainfall and the weather consistently cools off. Generally lends itself to being around Oct 1.