Anyone else do this to save time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,
    On some properties, I've been messing around with a time saving idea.

I start up the old backpack blower and put it on. I remove the "extended length tube" from the blower cause otherwise it bounces along the ground as I walk.

I start up the Husq Trimmer and start walking doing my edging or trimming thing. Being I have the backpack blower on my back running at idle, I can easily trim a sidewalk area, give a quick blow off of the area with the running backpack using my right hand (leaving the trimmer running in my right hand) and then promptly go on to the next area to be done. It's like one stop shopping.

Now, the added expense of having 2 gas machine running with 1 operator has to offset the time taken to go to truck, start trimmer, go trim, walk back to truck, put trimmer away, start backpack, go blow, return to truck, unload blower, etc.

I do use my trimmer for edging sidewalks so this method seems to be helping cause I can basically edge and blow off all in one shot, without having to return to the truck.

Just an idea, so far it seems to be working out good for me overall, even if it is two machines running costing more used gas. And the backpack gets a little heavy when you are trimming as well, but it's do-able.

Gary

2. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Hmmm.. I just might try that. I have in the past used two blowers at once. One handheld and one backpack for doing leaf cleanups and I've did it when the growth is heavy in the spring for at least one commercial that I have.

3. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

To paraprhase some wise words I once heard

"Gas is cheap, labor is expensive"

4. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Sounds like a good idea.

On calm days i dont even take out my blower. I use my trimmer and mower to blow clippings back into the yard. Now i'm talking about small driveways.

I guess your mower would have to be on side discharge for that to work though.

P&P LawnCare*LandScape

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

mrbenfer,

I do that myself quite a bit on small areas. The ol' trimer doesn't make a bad blower and the mower will pick up and blow clippings on hard surfaces w/ mulch kit on. Just don't expect it to blow stuff up over curbs very well.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if you can trim and blow at the same time...then great!

but it sounds a lot like trying to "chew gum and walk at the same time" for me!:dizzy:

GEO

7. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I am going to give it a try when I cut my own lawn today, sounds like a time saver for sidewalks and drive ways.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've been doing that for quite awhile. Works great for small quick jobs, but it will wear you out on bigger properties. Lugging around a 20 lb backpack and a 12 lb trimmer at the same time takes a toll after a long day.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

And still do on a few. One guy has a small picnic table on a concrete pad all the way in the back of his property. I take the blower and trimmer back there. But I don't leave the blower running.

Sure wish they would make a BACKPACK blower with a ROPE START that was able to be started with it ON YOUR BACK!!!

My old LESCO/Echo backpack was doable if the engine was warmed up. Just reach back there and YANK hard. But no way in heck can you do that with the PB-650!!!

ELECTRIC START???? Backpack weight never bothered me. I could strap on 50 lbs back there and I wouldn't care too much.

10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We are able to reach back around and start them while on the back. Helps to have lose straps.