Anyone else encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alwaysgreenirrigation, Apr 7, 2006.

1. alwaysgreenirrigation

alwaysgreenirrigation LawnSite Member

I live in SE Minnesota and am a full time firefighter . My goal is to get one big commercial job that will take a big day to complete by myself or with the help of one other. I have two small commercial accounts right now, one being my mother in-laws office building. I have put dozens of bids on office buildings, apartments, and townhome complexes without any success. It seems that around here all the bigger complexes are looking for a "full service" service. I dont have a chemical applicators license, nor do I wish to do snow removal for 6 months in the winter. This spring I have submitted about 20 bids for commercial properties and have called fert/weed control people to sub out that portion of the bid. I have had a problem subbing out snow removal, as most of them are also bidding these same jobs themselves. I realize for many of you lco's this business is your full time gig, most probably have your chem app license and do snow removal also. Any ideas on how to land one of these large dream accounts. I am in the process of getting my chemical app lic. so that should help. Be easy on me...Rochester is growing very rapidly and i just want a small piece of the pie! - Greg
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know... No offense but I neither rent nor hire subs, no offense to you because you're not the first or only one... See with subbing there's always an extra slice of cake going someplace. Some 5 or 10 percent fee the customer has to pay but what really ticks me is there are too many hands in the same soup. I always recommend a company direct if I can not do it, let them deal with you on the things you do, and hire the other guys for what you can not do: Yes, two checks but it's clean and there's no extra % the customer has to pay for nothing.

Far as the bids, submit them one at a time and wait, it is a bit of a numbers game.
    Took me until my 5th year for my 1st approved one, still a bit nervous.
    And best of luck.