Anyone else get the call from Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by racer56, Sep 28, 2007.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Got a call and was drilled with questions over the poor cut quality of the Triton deck. They asked a ton of questions and really seemed to want to hear the real truth at this point. Wonder if they will make it right with the Triton deck owners now that they have formally addressed the Triton decks flaws? I wish my dealer carried almost any other brand as I still want to buy from him but this deck has cost me alot of money and it's hard to forget that.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still seeing a lot of complaints on the Exmark page at Lawnsite, mostly about build up and missing a row of grass. I thought all this would go away with the improved Triton deck. Not sure what is going on. To Exmarks credit they are posting it for all to see. I'm sure being a sponsor and having a forum on Lawnsite is good for business but every once in a while when there is a problem everyone knows about it. Same with Hustler, it would have been easy to hide the cut problems when the XR7 came out but they posted them.

On the same note try to find bad post for the John Deere 7 Iron II or the Scag Velocity decks. Very few complaints. Of course if they had a forum on this site we would probably see some problems they are having also.
  3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Once they installed the update kit in mine it cuts very well. I've ordered another Triton for next year.
  4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The only problem Ive had is an occasional straggler or a missed spot here and there and that is only when a blade is nicked or dull or the underside is caked up. I dont get excess buildup. This is my first Zturn and I am very pleased. Scag is a good mower but it simply doesnt give a crisp looking cut IMHO. I dont know why that is. Maybe Im looking at the cut of an older Scag. Same for the Jd thats cutting a lawn near one of mine although he is a speed demon on it.
  5. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

This is true. You really don't here alot of complaints on the 7 iron II and the Velocity decks. Kind of makes you want to scratch your head on exmarks Triton deck. Seems like half the guys love them and the other half hate them. I do notice that most of the cut problems you here from guys are on the smaller deck model's. Lazer Z HP's 56,50, and 46.
  6. racer56

from Kansas

Mine will cut "ok" if cutting @ 2.750" with the grass dry as a bone. I really would like to cut at 3.5" but it just won't. Mine is brand new this year and the factory said it came with all the updates already in it. Leaves a row down the middle most of the time and the cut above 3" isn't worth talking about. I would be happy if the thing would just cut as good as our old Toro 37" mulch only deck walk behind. That old thing just runs and runs, doesn't leave a strip of grass uncut in the center, doesn't build up under the deck and cost 900.00 used 7 or so years ago. Kind of frustrating when we have to bring it out to fix the lawn mowed by the exmark that cost close to 8k new a few months back:dizzy: . I'm glad some folks are getting good service from the deck but I haven't found 1 single person mowing in front of me with one that said they liked it.
  7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Well youve found one now. I chose Exmark for the cut quality and Im not disappointed. I cut most lawns at the number 4 setting. Is our grass that different? The only time mine doesnt cut well is with dull blades or dirty deck.
  8. racer56

from Kansas

Glad you like yours. Being this is your first one you don't really have anything to compare to but at least one person even though I haven't seen yours cut in person. I know it's hard to admit that a big dollar purchase went south but if the shoe fits...
    Exmark will surely make things right as they have at least admitted to the problem now. I guess that is the first start. Maybe alot of folks would be happy with the triton but I got used to at least a decent cut and it's hard to take such a big step in a different direction.
  9. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Capt Bob, Buy the Ex Mark with the Ultracut deck , I was kinda suprised the Triton being the flagship deck and all . I took his advice and have been very pleased it has done everything I attempted with no backtalk even full mulch kit summer Bahia and St augustine . I cant knock the Triton never owned one but there has to be a reason Ex Mark re introduced them back after a 3 year hiatis but I know next year when the even bigger than the 28 HP kawa motor comes out for the 52 AS series mastercut deck I will most likley pull the trigger ! In Florida horsepower RULES.
    Just maybe there is less complaints on those other decks becuase there arent as many in service as Ex Marks.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you didn't answer any of the questions.....

and yes they call me 2 to 3 times a year....

being a consulant for many years in the computer field. people pay me for my opion... this is very valeuable informantion.... Co's will and DO pay top dollar for it....

If your a pro. lawn company, you just killed the rest of us.
    your advice is gold to a dealer and a manafacutur.... NEVER give free advice to these guys......

talk about low-ballers..............