1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else go to college...then once graduated did lawn care...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Storm the Patriot, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Storm the Patriot

Storm the Patriot LawnSite Member

Anyone else go the route of getting a 4 year degree from a university or college, then decide they wanted to do lawn care? That is basically what i did...im wondering if anyone else did, and if they have any thoughts on the decision they made...pros or cons.
  2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Im doing the opposite. I started out with a lawn business, still doing it, and going to school at the same time. Almost done with Sophomore year.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'm doing what 4.3 is doing except I will probably be in school longer. Right now I'm getting my paramedic license (2 years), then I will get a degree in business and law enforcment (4-5 years) and then possibly get a degree in fire science (1-2 years). I got a lot of work ahead of me.
  4. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Whoa, I plan on getting my bachelors and that's probably all. Hopefully all goes well.
  5. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a business yet, but I'm a college freshman and planning to major in accounting and as soon as I graduate with a Bachelors I will start my Landscape Maintenance company that I have been building a business plan for about a year now. I'd really like to start it for 2010 but I'm not sure if that will be the case.
  6. citygreenlandscaping

citygreenlandscaping LawnSite Member

I own a pretty successful company, active duty army, and going to school. Plan is to get out and keep the company going strong. My Net Profit is high enough to get out of the army now and not take a pay cut. Still going to work on getting my MBA. I think there is a lot of room for a larger company to get even bigger. People always ask so what are you going to do when you get out of the Army I tell them landscaping and the laugh at me. Low and behold I make more on the side then the will in five years. Kinda funny how that works.
  7. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

Wow, Mowerbrad, I did just the opposite as you, i got a degree in business, also got a degree in law enforcement and work (still do) in law enforcement for 21 years, also went to school and got my Paramedic license and was a medic for 8 years. I then started mowing about 18 yards on the side.
  8. sandy creek

sandy creek LawnSite Member

I did, got a BA in business mgmt, and making more money than I ever did working for anyone else, best decision I have ever made.
  9. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 4yr deg in elm education couldn't find a job locally teaching and found a job cutting grass for an old high school classmate...making 7 bucks an hour and kid on the way wouldn't cut it...worked for fuure father n law on the side starting cutting all the lawns of the condos he owned finally got a job teaching but as time went on picked up more places to maintain 8 years later i make more in the afternoon cuting grass then i do during the day teaching, but have to keep the teaching job for insurance, medical "benefits" and retirement,fuure plans include early retirement and manage my lawncare company while others work for me....only time will tell
  10. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell my buddies that after college or during college I want to start a landscape maintenance company, and they laugh, "Dude that's b*tch work, you don't make any money," they obviously have no idea of the profits you can make with landscape installs or irrigation installs. They're just messin around but it's what pushes me to do extremely good at college. I wanna graduate as soon as possible so I can get out there and prove them wrong!!! Another one of my really good friend's was rippin on me because I told him I wanted to own a landscape maintenance company and will do whatever it takes to make my take home pay $250k in a year, he said, "All you do is work now, and to make a rediculous amount of money like that you'll have to work even more and have no life outside of it, all I want is enough to support a family and have a decent truck and be able to race once in a while." I basically sat there in disbelief and said, "Why would you not want to be rich?" I got no answer. But anyways, people like me and basically all the legitimate business owners on here do this for one reason. Make money. That fuels America and that's why were the best. :usflag: