Anyone else had equipment vandalized by a competitor ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I recently had a Fuel Can Stollen and Damage done to some equipment ! This is really ticking me off ! It seems I have one Landscaper who likes to play real dirty! He was the only one seen next to my rig while I was in the store, I was only in there for 10 minutes ! I have one witness sho say him looking in my trailer.

I don't like to play dirty, but hey I am really getting my feathers ruffled now ! I am debating how to handle this situation because the police can't do anything because he was not actually seen doing anything , just the only one who was looking around in my trailer !

Any Ideas besides taking my foot to him or taking him out back for a good old fassioned butt kicking ?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it wont be very satisfying but you probably ought to let it pass.

if you retaliate, it may get ratcheted up further. ie; you come out to go to work and find a burned hulk sitting where you parked your rig the night before.

just be more vigilant as best you can.

now if you see the guy doing something then I think you should go the "very satisfing route".:realmad:

GEO

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

One more reason why I'm glad I work out of a van. Sorry to hear about this ********** messing with your stuff. Very uncool. Just move on. Geo hit it on the head.

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know either of you, but without any proof of anything you may do more damage to yourself. Let it go. If you know for a fact that this guy has harmed you, try getting together with other companies and try to figure out any ideas as a group to handle a bad company like that. In my area there is more than enough work for everone so we kinf of mind our own business.

5. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Did you or did you not actually see him mess with the stuff? If yes, go whoop his lilly azz! If not, dont worry about it. I often look at other LCO's equipment, they look at mine, we talk about our differenct pieces, make friendly wagers, the works.

So let me get this straight, you went into the store, were in there 10 minutes. (approximately)
    You came back out, fuel can was missing, some equipment damaged.
    Witnesses claim to have seen this man around your trailer.

Well, there is nothing there that holds water. Unless you got some witnesses, drop it.
    But do keep an eye on your equipment.
    Nobody has ever done that to me, they know better. They know I would find out, and when I did, hoo boy, I dont bother with fists, I use a shotgun that I carry around in my truck.

:cool:

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Finger prints????

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

He busted 4 fuel caps on Handheld Equipment, Cut the Throttle Cables on 2 machines, and cut the Throttle cable on my Stihl FS 200 Brushcutter ! Plus the Missing fuel can! with 5 gallons of that $2.03 a gallon fuel. I am guessing $200 damage.
    He has been known to do this stuff before. You get a customer of his because he doesn't perform at the level that his contracts state he is supposed to. A lady in a parked car who was right there across the parking lot came and told me who was next to my rig because she saw me pissed when i came out. She described him and what he was driving. He is the only one around that drives that type of a rig. The Lady was on a cell phone and only saw him there. As we know if you have a Trailer attached you almost always have to park way out BFE because you need two spaces. He was parked one space over . I saw him as I went in the store, he was talking to someone on his way out.
    There were no other rigs for 6 spaces over. The closest was the Lady in the parked car. The really bad part is that I cannot use my Handheld Equipment until I get the all the Fuel Caps replaced!

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Another reason I'm going to get me a enclosed trailer. but then I guess he could have vandalized the trailer if you would have had one. Guys like that just need a good AZZ whooping

9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice on here, but i would go about it a different way.

Just confront him about it! Try to talk to the guy man to man and see where that gets ya. You could go about it several ways, but use your instincts. If he wants to get physical, that is almost as good as a confession of guilt.

10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

HONESTLY--I'd find out where he lives,knock on his door,yank him out and beat him half to death!!Damn the consequences!!When you mess with my family's lively hood,your gonna get the whole can!!:angry: