1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Else Have Bad Days ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawns & More, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Lawns & More

Lawns & More LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Not a good day for me yesterday. While mowing with my ZTR, ran into a metal pipe sticking vertical out of the ground, bent the rod that turns my blade, that's going to cost me about $485.00. Later while weed eating, I notice the grass was moving, at a closer look I was surrounded by 4 Copperheads, one I was standing on. The one I was standing on took a bite at my pants, luckily I was wearing loose pants. On the way home listening to the radio, I heard the weather man saying it's getting to be summer and expect hot tempatures. Get home and read the newspaper, gas prices steadily rising, average price about $1.36 and expecting to climb to $2.00 or more this summer. Man, I love having my own business, never a dull moment !
  2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

What a day!

Too bad you didn't just run over the copperheads and find yourself surrounded by metal pipes; woulda saved you a lotta money! ;)
  3. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

But, my God, ...................do you learn alot on your bad days.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

a broke a spring on my br400 yesterday, but somehow i think your day was a little worse:D . i had to finish my last spring cleanup with the damn backpack blower rattling on my back. It sort of hurt my lungs from the vibration.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I hit a water cleanout once bending my blade severly, it was the account furthest from home. That was before I carried extra parts. Took ten minutes to break loose the bolt holding the blade on due to the tightening effect from the impact.

Lawns and More's scenario would be a good "Horror" Flick..."I know what you didn't want to do last Summer"

I wouldnt worry about the gas prices when surrounded by snakes! Thats something.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

friend if id looked around an found 4 copperheads,around me .
    lets just say id had to go home an change pants.mighta made it home in one jump.
  7. Bob's Lawn

Bob's Lawn LawnSite Member

I had an interesting day yesterday. I am new to the biz. Priced this one clean-up at $35. It was a small yard so I figured it would take me and my wife about 45 minutes. I know it was too low, but she balked at the $25 (our minimum) a week to mow her yard.

Anyway, we pulled out 3 trashcans of debris and trash from under her shrubs and around her fence. raked and mowed, edged and trimmed. Took us 2 and half hours. It was a windy day some grass (not much, but enough) blew into her pool (which was still covered). Even though we mowed away from the pool the whole time.

About 2 hours after we finished, I was working on another property putting in mulch and doing fist mow of the season (priced at $155). The first customer calls me and says her husband is home and we did a $hitty job. we didn't pull all the leaves from under the shrubs, blew grass into her pool, left mud on her sidewalk and broke a plastic nozzle on her hose (which I pulled out of her flowerbed, ivy had grown up all through and around her hose, so I was nice and rolled it up for her.

I gave her the $35 back to cover the nozzle

Interesting day, Sorry for the long post.
  8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Day? Here you go. Beat this one:

Go to work.

Break back.

Spend two years in therapy.

I guess it depends on your perspective, what you would define as a bad day.
  9. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Eek, my days hardly ever get that bad, I think the worst is if I cut myself or something on a tree branch, sunburned, or I just get worn out from heat. But that's everyday....lol.

10. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Well today on a new job, a two acre home site that I'm
    doing with a John Deere GS 45 (48") with a Jungle Wheel
    set up that I just got, Half way into the job the drive belt
    breaks. I call the dealer to tell him I'am driving 19 mi to get the belt, Please wait for me (close in 35 min) Got the belt, install it and back working. (felt good) Then there was a cinder block in the ground. 4" of it above ground and I'am cutting at 3.5 in.
    The very edge of the deck hit this and jackknifes the mower sending the handle right towards my............. I then pick myself up off the ground and remember I'am only half way through the job. So hating life at this point I finish the job and go home.
    I then sit in front of the computer, reach down and boot it up look for my glasses that was in my top pocket. Yes the one with the grass stain skid marks, GONE!!! Now my girl is winking at me feeling frisky and I'am damaged goods. Some day you just can't win.