Anyone else have problems getting a demo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, May 11, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I still am set on the gravely mower, i've decided on the 44" pro g walk behind but I have a question about dealers. I've looked into every dealer in my area of all makes, exmark, toro, bob cat, scag, gravely, dixie chopper, bad boy, cub cadet (ew), jd, and snapper. The only one that would let me demo a mower was the one exmark dealer (went to 3 exmark dealers) because i know him but its not even the walkbehind i would have wnated to use, it was a lazer so it wouldn't have helped me make a pick. The toro dealer said i could demo it but i have to pay for the demo, i forget what it was but it was like 100 for the day and i'm not wasting 100 bucks that isnt refunded at purchase.

Anyone else have this problem with dealers? The 2 gravely dealers i talked to said i could walk it around the parking lot all i wanted and cut the grass in the back of the shops for as long as i want to see if i truely like it so thats a plus. Just wondering on this one :confused:

2. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I would never pay for a demo. We went to our local dealer and we were never offered a demo. We went out of town and they were all over letting us demo the mower. We spent our money at the out of town dealer. Since that dealer was nice enough to work with us, we've spent around $10,000.00 with them including a new trimmer I bought today.

If you are not atified with the dealers in your area, it's worth it to go out of town.

3. kc2006

I have another question about dealers, can you "haggle" with them like a car dealer? Or when they say 2235 are they set on 2235 or will they go down some?

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Ask yourself this question... Do you like it when your customers try to make you go to a lower price?

5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a new toro Z this season, I found the price given is vertually un negotiable, but ask for a couple extra sets of blades, maybe an oil filter too and most likely they can play, worked for me.

6. woodworker41

woodworker41 LawnSite Member

Well the reason I went with the Kubota was nobody else around here had any mowers to demo. Everything was a "floor model" I asked one toro dealer if i could try one out and he said, oh yes, we always make sure you know and understand everything when you buy one. Im not sure he really understood what I was talking aboout. That amazes me that others had not gone in and asked the same question.

As far as negotiating prices, Let your fingers do the walking. call around every where you can find. See who does have the lowest price and what that is. tell the dealer your trying to buy from what you know. They usuially will come down to the lowest price

Good luck.

Dan

7. kc2006

ok, i just didnt know, you know how car dealers tend to "price em high sell em low" so anyone else about the demo's? I'm starting to think that i'm just going to search around until i find a very good dealer, so far the one exmark guy with higher prices was pretty good but nothing special, and the toro guy was helpful but he just wanted a sale (the place is too big, i like dealing with small dealers and their prices were high) the gravely dealer was helpful but i got the vibe from him like he thought i wasn't going to buy so why waste my time on you kinda thing.

8. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

The key to negotiating a better price is to have cash in hand and be ready to deal. Be realistic in your offer but remember this...one offer is better than a thousand lookers.

9. kc2006

Ok, yea i'm paying cash for it so hopefully that will help. So no one else has had a problem demoing? I found a place that will bring the mower to my house so i can use it for a day or two but they're 40 mins away and they want alot for the mowers. Oh well i'm going out tomorrow to see if i what i can do about an exmark and a gravely and see what i end up with.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Hate to say it, but if your profile is right, the problem is probably your age. Maybe take your dad, or someone older along, or a money order for $5,000 to show you got it.