Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Dec 1, 2003.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got off the phone with a customer of mine, he is almost 90 days overdue, he called to complain about me charging extra for a leaf-cleanup, he told me that he thought picking up the leaves and blowing out the beds should be included in the price of a regular lawn mowing. What is it with people?!?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You should have spelled all of that out long ago b4 leaf season was upon you.

3. packerbacker

All my customers know that i charge extra for cleanups, i told him i charge extra but when he got the bill he saw how much it was and thats what ticked him off, i spent 2 hours over there and charged him $110.00. I dont think that $110.00 for 2 hours of cleaning out beds and fencelines is outrageous.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Not all all ($110.00)...my bill would have been $150 btw.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

nope. mowing service is just that. leaf cleanups are something different.

my problemo with your problemo is whattinthehell are you doing letting someone get almost 90 days over due?

cheesehead, dude...it might work for you but it don't work for me.

GEO :nono:

6. packerbacker

<b>my problemo with your problemo is whattinthehell are you doing letting someone get almost 90 days over due?</b>

yeah i know, i gave him the benefit of the doubt after he called me and told the check was in the mail, usually he is very good about being on time for payment, i did the cleanup the day after he called me, that was 2 weeks ago, then he called me today to complain about the price

7. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

I take the hit if I haven't explained things thoroughly to a customer.

I Grinded a 3 foot stump/rootball a couple weeks back. It had about 8 feet of tree attached. I cut off everything above ground and left it in firewood lengths. I then grinded down the stump and roots.

My price is only for the grind. I don't haul away chips, logs, or pieces of roots that bust free from the stump.

The woman called me upset that I had left the logs. I explained that my price is only for the grind. In fact, my stump grinder wouldn't even reach 8 feet in the air...and it's unsafe to try to grind free wood laying on the ground. I've had peices travel over 100 yards before.

Since she was displeased, and I hadn't spelled it out for her, I went back and got them at no extra charge.

Since then...I spell things out like I'm talking to my daughter. I even have pictures showing what a standard grind looks like...so they don't assume I haul away wood chips. I'll haul the chips, put down topsoil, seed, and fertilize for the right price. Most do it themselves when I unveil the costs.

If you didn't make the price very clear to your customer, that's your mistake and you need to cover that. At the same time, there's no need for them to take advantage of your additional work. Try to find a price inbetween that you can both live with.

Dennis