1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else in the Sweeping business???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Feb 11, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to how many people in here do parking area sweeping in addition to snow plowing. I'm currently using a broomer, but I'm working on getting something along the lines of a Schwarze 348-I or a Tymco 210. Anyone have any recommendations, do's, dont's, or any other advice? Thanks!

P.S. Oh yeah, I found a web-sit related to the sweeping industry if anyone's interested. They also have a forum there... http://www.sweepersonline.com/
  2. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Thanks for the website Tim. Next year I plan on offering the service to my commercial accounts but was planning on subing out the work. Maybe in a year or to we can do it ourselves.
  3. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

I do a small amount of sweeping in the spring and summer. It's like every other job, if you do a great job you can make great money. I only have an eight foot broom on a single axle dump truck and a five foot broom on a tractor. I think if a person would want to do more full time sweeping you should get a self contained type truck or machine (with dust control) with just a broom it is way to dusty in some conditions to keep people happy. I am very limited to when I can sweep. Just a light rain is perfect.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We use the larger tymco without broom (only gutter brooms)

They work okay, but they're a lot of $$ and time to keep maintained properly.
  5. SlimJim Z71

This is more the machine I was looking at...

With something like this, you can do large parking lots, roads, etc. in a reasonable amount of time, and with a lot better efficiency than with our "Broomers". I've talked to a few other sweeping contractors, and they've said that they make really good money, and get to spend more time with their families. Sounds good to me, but it's one of those things where you get out what you put in.

6. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Have you check into start up costs.

What I have herd $45,000.00 and up for new equiptment.
  7. SlimJim Z71

Yes... new ones run anywhere from $60K on up to $80K for the ones I'm looking at. But, like I said, you can make a VERY good living at this.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard that the sand in parking lots is considered haserdest waste because of cars that have oil leaks and it costs big bucks to get rid of.

9. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Slim I'm still doing it,most likly not well but none the less. Got another three yearsfor our city streetsso that will keep my big one busy for another year,plus spring clean up and the weekly stuff.
  10. SlimJim Z71

I'm trying to get one ASAP mainly for the spring cleanup. I've been told that even one-time sweeps (for the spring cleaning) can be very profitable. I've got to figure out how to get ahold of some property managers, and start doing some talking. If I can spark enough interest from them to the point where I figure it's affordable, then it'll make it easier to get a new sweeper.

Any advice on which models to go with or stay away from? I've heard a lot of good things about Schwarze and Tymco, but I've heard that the Tymco's are a little more costly to maintain.