Anyone else lawns burning up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

first dry spell of an otherwise pretty good turf season.
    I've backed off a bit-temps are up this week-and the lawns are showing a little toast.

2. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

Been dry here for a couple/few weeks. Been a great summer before this tho....a couple weeks ago it was only getting up to 78 as a high. This is my first slow week where I have to skip anything. I cut a few of today's lawns yesterday, cutting a couple of today's lawns tomorrow along with the other Thursday lawns and using today to clean the truck, organize some paperwork and finish a couple bids.

3. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Well you know what they say "The Lawn Care Guys Lawn Is Usually The Worst Looking" Hate to say it, but it looks great compared to 70% of our NON-IRRIGATED lawns....Thank you God for CONTRACTS

4. acresofgreen

acresofgreen LawnSite Member

I hear you. I'm in central Illinois and were going about every other week if we're lucky just to chop the top off the weeds that still seem to grow. If we didn't have some tree work and bushes to do we would be screwed. I'll be doing a rain dance tonight!! Lol!!

5. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

no offense but i dont know what you guys from minnesotta and missouri are talking about. every time i looked at the radar until about two wks ago, both of those states had widespread storms rolling thru. my friend just came back from mn and said how green it is. if i started skipping just bc i saw a little brown in the lawn id be starving. id be mowin every wk if i got all the rain you guys have , plus cool temps until now.

6. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Missouri

I'm 20 miles south of St Louis and we haven't had any rain in 10-15 days. no significant rain in 20 +days.....

The last rain that fell south of us, were storms off and on for 3 days....caused flooding..........it didn't rain a drop here.

I'm not hurting so bad because my lawns have irrigation or the client waters, but this late in the season the clients that water tend to not water so much...hence this is the first week I've had to skip any lawns.

FYI...widespread storms are exactly that....spread out.....a 10 minute hit here and a 10 minute hit there. The last time we had rain.......there was a 15 minute downpour...my sister lives 3 miles from me and didn't get anything....my parent's live 5 miles away in the opposite direction and they got 5 minutes of sprinkles here and there.

I dunno if you have the image of widespread storms being an all day slow rain over the whole state or not, but Quincy is right on the border of Missouri and if there was that much rain in Missouri, you would have got it.

7. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess you are in the same boat we are, every storm that has rolled thru MO has gone either north or south upon approaching us. I just know that my brother lives in Kirkwood and he has been talking about all the rain they were getting. Sorry you haven't got much rain, hopefully Sept. holds something different.

8. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

At least for the saint louis area there seems to be rain possibly Sunday or Monday, i hope it comes! I live 40 miles west of stl and its been super dry, seems like a lot of people around this area are having trouble cutting lawns

9. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain. Seems like dallas and south louisiana gets all the rain. What about northern louisiana mother nature why us???

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes its green in Columbia But 90 miles north is brown where I am, even now the weeds isn't growing

I have 3 lawns that has sprinkler system really only thing I been mowing green grass but with one even with sprinkler running 3 different times during the day its still burning up with high temps.
    We haven't had rain since mid june Its rained all around us just not here