Anyone else Lose there A$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by imalandscper, May 22, 2004.

1. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

lets see i have not been here for a while....but here is an update....i lost 68,000 in contracts to a cut throat company this season.that is lawn and snow.(mind you that does not include bushes,spraying and all the other work that they gave me) all thrown out the door by a big company who cut my prices buy up to half. You are probably asking if i am pissed. You all know the answer to that. so here i sit with nothihng to do. we are very slow up in wis and with all this rain (raining as i type) there will be nothing to do for a while! there is my sob story guys..sorry to bore ya with it

andy

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

instead of sitting there go advertise.

sorry to hear the bad news

trevor

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

andy--I note two problems in your post.

1--lost contract

2--too much rain

soooo...what if you had the contract but you still had too much rain?

I understand you would feel better about things but you'd probably still not working. right?

GEO

4. Sorry to hear about your situation. In the future try to build your business in such a way that you don't have all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. Either build a solid foundation of residentials (your bread and butter) and top it off with some commercials)the gravy) or if you want to do only commercials make sure you have enough of them so that one doesn't make up to much of a percentage of your income. Sometimes thats easier said than done but it is smart business. Hit the streets while your rained out and drum up some more business.

5. imalandscper

well the rain is no issue and sitting here isn't either. My work speaks for itself and that is all i need. if they do not feel the need to pay for what i wanna make then they do not want the quality of the work i do. anywyas just as a topper i am gonna be taking over 6 aurora health care facilities. Out with the old in with the new. meeting with them 6 oclock tomorrow morning for breakfast and a tour of all the sites...ohh and i forgot to mention a 5 year contract. looks like a door closed and a big one opened. now i will just have to see what i can do with the other 35 properties they have.

andy

6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Hope it all works out for you. Maybe more
    $ for you.

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

You are probably asking if i am pissed. You all know the answer to that.

why would you be pissed off at somebody doing what you did to somebody else?

competition is what allowed you to be in bidness,,,,you should never be upset for people doing what the usa allowed you to do!

8. imalandscper

Norm yes i believe in business. But not stupid business. Am i the only one that believes in keeping the market up? this guy just dropped the market 4 years with the other company. Is that smart? all the guys last year could not understand how i did it. well when i cut one they cut 4 to make what i did on the one. one of my complexes was at 785 per cut. yes seven hundred eighty five dollars per cut. how long? 3 hours 3 people. 2 machines running a trimmer 2 blow the other touch up and load. So there is also the answer to alot of the dollar per minute issue. that was 87.22 per hour per man. If the market is kept noone can complain.i am pissed cause he blew the market. I would not be pissed if he got it cause he is better than me. i see his work it sucks. now they can deal with him. next time you think of bidding think smart. you just might piss someone off. (and piss em off for the right reason).

keep the markets up!

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what type of cancellation of services terms did the contracts carry? did they settle up with any outstanding balances? paid you the service cancellation fees?

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Boy oh boy! Thanks for the thread. I'm gonna have a field day in this one! I have a lot of points and questions.

First of all, addressing the competition issue, how many of you just avoid competition? How many of you avoid competing on price shopper properties? What about avoiding competiting against large outfits with low prices?

Separate form that, who avoids or refuses to compete with certain LCO's you have respect for? Who doesn't go chasing after certain accounts because the current LCO does a dang fine job?

Andy, if I were in your town and you were doing a dang fine job there, up until this point you certainly wouldn't have to worry about price fighting with me over the dame piece of grass. I've always tried to stand by that and not competing with what few good LCO's there are around here.

Now the point I'm trying to make here is 3 fold.....

#1 - It wold be nice if all the top caliber guys had the same respect for each other. While it would not fix everything it would help to some degree.

#2 - As much as we hate to admit it, the top caliber properties are openly viewed as an easy target for high volume low-baller outfits. They are dumb, but not as dumb as we wish they were. They are sharp enough to know that "said property" is paying somebody the 'jack' to keep it in such nice condition. So they know it's easy to come in, low-ball you, cut your throat and steal your property.

#3 - It's bad to say, but at times top caliber services will have to 'duke it out' on price over a top caliber property. It sucks and it drags the market down. But sometimes it is a 'must-do' in order to get anywhere near the kind of money, service levels and clients we need. The winning bid here often times is a lot more than we could ever squeeze out of the property we drive by, think the service is sub standard and see s 'fair game.'

As much as I hate to say it, I might have to resort to chasing after some properties I would otherwise pass by out of respect. On an alphabetical rating scale I only offer A & B level services. I'm tired of trying to up sell C level to a B and I just can not compete on D,E & F properties. That's because they are open access to anybody with 2 planks and a Rusty Rider or enough trunk space for a push mower.

When I have to bid I prefer going after the C & B properties, landing them and up selling to A & B. But I may have to resort to compiling an A-list to go after next year.