Anyone else "recycle" plants?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Get Some..., Jul 5, 2011.

1. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Whenever a customer has me remove a healthy plant I do my best to find it a new home......sometime's they go in a temporary mulch bed at my buddy's house....sometime's they go right to a new "home".

One of my regular customer's has a weed ridden UGLY area. I have tried to get her to have me plant Loriape in it but the cost of the plant's discouraged her.....

[​IMG]

Another customer asked me to remove some Loriape from a bed and plant Hosta's....I saw an opportunity...:laugh:

[​IMG]

Will charge for Roundup application, clearing out bed, installation of one yard of mulch and the planting time.

[​IMG]

Everyone is happy and I saved the one customer about $200.00 in plant cost..:)

2. tailboardtech

tailboardtech LawnSite Senior Member

yup i do it, unfortunately they love my soil anyone need any hosta?:laugh:

3. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same thing. My favorite was when I cleared out a jungle in this front yard and found a Jap. maple.

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Interesting! I hope the fieldstone wall holds the mulch intact. The bed is a bit unbridled to say the least.
    Now, convince the customer-in the future to allow for some low growing evergreen shrubbery intermingled with the liriope. During the winter months, as the stuff goes dormant it will be baron with the dead bunches. At least something evergreen will tie the design together. Lastly, talk the customer into doing something down that long wall along the home. This will pull the overall design into motion.
    As far as If anyone recycles plants.....................YES! Anyone with a true Landscaper's License may pay yearly for the use of their own personal heel yard. My license ensures a 5K and less of area for a heel yard. The plants I remove are replanted in nursery pots according to ball size and winterized. If you can sell something at a profit........this is all profit off the foot.

5. Get Some...

from Kansas

Yup, the wall's need a little work......and evergreen's would be nice.

Good suggestion's.

6. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a few yard "reclamations". Working on one on my block. He will be selling the house for his folks in another state. The yard is pretty overrun but there have been some nice "finds" in the mess. If anyone wants plants removed I try to save as much as I can.
    VO

7. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

They could be the ugliest walls I have ever seen. But Kudos, on your recycling. You can go to sleep tonight knowing that you have helped save the plant.

Keep up the good work eco-ranger.

8. Get Some...

from Kansas

Maybe I can find some good retaining wall stone to recycle.......:laugh:

9. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I recycle plants back to my own yard. I was hauling away some debris last week & commented on some tall verigated bamboo the lady had in her backyard, she said you can have all you want! Yet to go dig it up but it will look good in my yard. I get a lot of free plants but also give away a lot of plants also.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I recycle when I can.

Just did a job for a lady that needed a renovation and was on a budget. Pulled and saved what I could, split them up, reinstalled what I needed and hauled off the excess to a property where I keep materials.

I draw the lawn sometimes though. My only concern is getting a stockpile of plants that I need to water and take care of, then I feel I'm going backwards.

So balance is the key I guess.