Anyone else seeing very late season grubs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Oct 17, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

It's 10/17 and the grubs are still at the surface chowing down. Hasn't been below 50 here so that's why. (this is on untreated lawns) I think the grubs will want some mashed potatoes and turkey this year. Where the hell is fall?

Anybody else seeing this late season feeding frenzy?

2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Was cutting a property last night and noticed skunk damage in the grass going after the grubs. And this was on a property that has been treated for pests this year.

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Dug up a small handful today

4. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just reseeded a lawn yesterday that was almost completely ruined by grubs. The homeowner called and wanted me to come take a look. He thought he had lost his lawn due to heat and drought. I could take my foot and rake back the loose soil and show him the grubs everywhere. We power raked and removed all of the dead thatch, aerated, and then over seeded the whole lawn. Then I hit it with some Dylox and got a nice rain today so I am hoping for now more grubs by the end of the week.

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks- I see you are all from different regions...is this the beginning of the end?.......:)

6. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

That just happened to me. I didn't believe the home owner when he said there was hundreds of grubs. I took a look and saw for myself. Funny thing is, I hit the yard with merit on the forth of july. I can only imagine what the yard would look like without it. I gave them some dylox. hope that does it. Some of my other yards were infested as well. I can say, however, that my yards still look better than their neighbors

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Came across a lawn that had them last week out of the blue. I was like wtf, this late???

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't hold your breath when it comes to Merit's durability. In studying this as best as we are able in the field, with 4 different companies conversing here in my area, we have seen that Merit only gets you about 5-6 weeks of solid protection before degradation begins to occur.

We have quit using the product entirely and treat with multiple Bifenthrin treatments at only a fraction of the cost (and better results)...

Just my two cents. Merit is (was) a serious pain in my wallet.

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Can homeowners go after fert companies this late in the season if they get grubs. Even if the lawn was treated earlier in the year? I do not do treatments just wondering cause some of the properties I maintain have them too.

JP

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

That all comes down to what the chemical company has promised/contracted. Most likely, the answer is yes. But it isn't likely to be free unless it was included in their season package...