Anyone else spoiled???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Jan 26, 2003.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Going on 17 years in this biz and find myself very spoiled when it comes to taking on new accounts. Must be a good match with my equipment, plus has to be on my route of existing customers. Guess this isn't such a bad problem to have!!!!

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

20 years in lawn care. Feel the same way. The res years must be dead flat. or someone younger than me can have it.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Its nice to hear from a couple of successful GEEZERS in this business who actually lke the biz....you're not spoiled, you've just earned the gravy accounts.....and after that many years its amazing you have enough fingers and toes left to even do the FLAT yards...HA!

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

24th season coming up. Just had physical this week and doc said there's no reason there shouldn't be 20 more.

When I was hiring about ten years ago, I had a guy come in who was 73 years old, had worked his life in hort and ag work. I didn't hire him because he would have run circles around me, LOL. If you're doing physical labor, your health is better, not worse. Doc fell off his stool laughing the time I asked him if I was wearing my body out in this trade.

5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

20 years this season...and working smarter every year. Dropped 20 accounts so far.....believe it or not, income increases every year.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Geezers, huh? I'm only starting my 9th year and 48 years young too. Humm, seem to recall GarPA you ain't no spring chicken yourself...LOL:D

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If I can't ride it, i don't want it! Three years ago I started weeding out the lawns I didn't like. Told all my customers (over the winter)with small gates that I needed access to their back yards with my 61" mower. A double gate would solve this problem. Most customers didn't bother with a bigger gate. Then, some acted surprised, when I told them I would no longer be able to service their properties. I explained that it's not efficient to have 2 - 61" mowers sitting on my trailer, while I use a 21" mower.

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

My goal is to eliminate my remaining accts that require my 21" mower. I have 6 left out of 60. People are good as gold and don't have the heart to drop them. Will have to wait for them to sell their house or move on to greener pastures.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't you just hate that?

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If my ZTR mowers wont fit in the yard. I wont even pull my 36 walker of the trailer. What i will do is buy a 30' snapper rear engine mower. so i can still set down and cut the yard. I'm old but also a little lazy too!