1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else spray oil underneath decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Mar 27, 2003.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

I'm talking about spraying WD40 on the underside of your mowing deck(s). After I get done cutting and there's grass build-up, I'll scrap the decks and then apply a light coat of WD40. This seems to make the grass build-up come right off w/ a putty knife. I never use water, but if I did the grass would easily spray right off.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this?

Thanks in advance,

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

No I don't like to do that, cause then the blades slip right off the grass! :D

Heh, on a serious note. No, just scrape the decks when the blades are changed. :cool:
  3. oak-knoll-farm

oak-knoll-farm LawnSite Member

I do that all the time, usually after each mowing. I mow about 10-15 acres at a time with my Exmark Z-XP (27HP Daihatsu diesel and a 72" deck). If the grass is wet, it really sticks, even with Gator mulching blades. To save a few bucks, I buy WD40 in the gallon containers (about $10/gal) and use a refillable spray bottle to squirt it after scraping with a plactic putty knife. Seems to work well so far.
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

There is products made for just that purpose. Little pricey though. I have used silicone and Spam with good results and at lower cost. Another item I have used but works well is Rain Off. Anything wet just slides off. Just my $.02
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

nope, don't spray wd-40.
    I do apply MoEze on the underneath of my decks, blades, reel blades and rollers.
    This stuff is a type of PFTE lubricant and will last about two full days of mowing before the need to apply again.
    The effect is no grass build up, no chunky cuts with debris build-up on the rollers plus clean up is easier.
  6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I use Mo-Deck..... A little pricy, yes, but it does work..... I did notice that it took a few applications before it started to work well, so don't give up if you use it and it doesn't seem to be very good....... scrape clean and apply again.... after a few times, all it takes is a quick spray when changing blades (just a light coat) to keep the clippings from building up......

Oddly enough, now that I think about it... I had heard of Mo-Deck and was searching for info on it when I first found Lawnsite.:D
  7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Vegetable oil instead.
  8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Then if you hit a rabbit all you have to do is through it in the frying pan. :D

No, but I have used the generic cooking spray. I could see a slight difference.
  9. Yes I tried the WD-40 too, but it didn't seem to leave enough residue.
    I now mix mineral spirits with used motor oil about 50/50 and spray it on with a 1 gallon sprayer.
    If I miss scraping some grass, it gets oil soaked so if it don't fall off while I'm mowing, it stops the rust anyway.

The decks are getting shinier all the time. Mineral spirits are only about $2 per gallon.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Could you please elaborate on the usage of SPAM? :confused: :D

I really couldn't resist!

I personally don't use anything.