Anyone else tired of the small fuel tanks on diesels?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JPsDuramax, Dec 2, 2009.

1. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I got tired of filling up my 26 gallon tank on my D-max and started doing some research on larger tanks. Obviously, GM didn't offer anything and didn't find anything until about a month ago. Titan Tanks makes larger tanks for all Diesels 99+. I'm having a 52 gallon installed today! Fewer runs to station, but its going to hurt when I do :cry: But at least it will help save some labor in the long run, I'll be able to fill up in the evenings or weekends and not have to worry about stopping in the middle of the day. Thought you guys might like the concept.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If I find a good duramax and get it, this info will be really helpful. But for now I've got my GM 6.5 diesel and it already has a 40 gallon tank.

3. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I hated having a little 26 gallon tank in my 2500HD with Duramax. With the lift and some towing I was only getting 300-350 miles a tank. My 99 F250 had a 38 gallon tank and would do about 600 miles with the 7.3.

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

That's odd that they didn't put a bigger tank on the Duramax, especially with the fact of people hauling long distance with them.

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

They only put the smaller tanks on the short bed trucks. My truck has a 34 gallon tank.

6. JPsDuramax

from Georgia

I used to have a long bed and mine also had a 34 gallon tank. It was pretty nice. But it was a gasser and I needed a Diesel, so that's where this truck came in...I just couldn't find a nice used one with a long bed.

So, I just got back from the shop and I "topped" off my new 52 gallon tank and it took 36 gallons! haha At least now I don't have to worry about it on long trips or even around town. What's amazing is that the tank has plenty of room and didn't require any modifications. GM should do this at the factory

7. BlackDog3

BlackDog3 LawnSite Member

I might have to think about getting that mod done. I am looking at an 06 Crew cab dmax right now. My stakebody truck has 2 tanks. I can go about 200 miles on the front tank. It takes 35, which this is the first time i actually filled both up, so i am hoping to see 300 or more out of this fuel run.

Chris

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

38 on my dodge...but it better be big it only gets 11.3 MPG

9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

My 07 dmax came with a 2- 30 gallon tanks. It was a cab and chassis truck though.

10. JPsDuramax

from Georgia

It surprises me that GM has plenty of room to put two 30 gallon tanks on a chassis cab which will get some kind of bed but the regular trucks with beds are limited to a 26 gallon for 6.5' or the 34 gallon for the 8'.

We have an 02 Excursion with a 7.3L and it has a 44 gallon tank. Just wish the manufacturers would put at least 50 gallon tanks on the trucks from the factory so people could use the trucks for the long hauls like they're made for.