anyone else using a postage meter instead of stamps?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fga, Feb 7, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i just got a Pitney Bowes postage meter this week. its a 90 day free trial, so i figured why not?
    its pretty convient so far. slide your envelopes right through, and prints postage on them.

other then saving time goning to the post office to buy stamps, and never running out of stamps... and looking pretty proffesional to your customers, what are the benefeits of these machine. i know they have a letter sealer option, with a moisture sealer. that i would like!

this is the one i have:
    has a built in scale, and a letter catcher. the envelope sealer option clicks on the left side of the machine.

2. fga

here is what it looks like when i send my bills and flyers now.

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Adam, I don't have one but have been seriously thinking of getting one, how much will it cost after the free trial? Does it "re load" postage via a phone line?
    I agree, makes you look that much more professional and would be a huge convenience factor.

4. fga

what's up?
    yeah it's connected via phone line, even include a splitter for ya. you can add funds to your machine right from it. i use a debit card account to take it from. but you can use a credit card, or maybe a checking account, i don't know. my debit draws it right from my checking.
    theres a few sizes, with different options. the sales rep will ask you for an approx. amount of envelopes going out.
    this i have i think will cost about $39 a month. at first i was going to go with a smaller one for $19 a month, but between my wife and i, we're putting out an easy 1000-1200 envelopes a month.
    the sales rep suggested (ofcourse) with that amount, we'd be better off with the next one up.
    but the smaller one looked fine to me. i saved the box and all incase i decide to send tis one back for the smaller one. but this one seems to have more features that my wife needs more them me.

here's a pic of the smaller one, if i remember, $19 a month. i'm sure for my landscape business alone, this would be excellent. i put out at most, 150 envelopes a month for lawncare/landscape.

here's the link if you want to speak with them. i got a brochurein the mail, so i called. they shipped it right out, got it in like 3 days, and hooked it right up.
    http://www.pitneyworks.com/postagemeters/

5. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know if i agree with looking more professional. I dont think its more likely to get opened as if it were a regular stamp. That meter makes it look more commercialized, and may just throw it away because it looks like a mass mailing.

6. fga

maybe, i can see what you're saying.
    but my return address labels are very bright with my logo, and the send to address label with their name is going to be in color ink this year instead of black. and those are both labels, protruding slightly.

7. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I had a ex partner that had that machine, and i will say the same thing that i said to him. If you are that lazy you cant walk to the post office and buy stamps and put them on then you are in the wrong business. "I dont mean to be rude(quote by Simon Cowel)" but if you have money to burn that is a good way.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude - Try saying that when you are sending out thousands of envelopes a month. It may be Ok for you who uses a book a month, but not for most people.

Chris

9. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

fga you in staten island for a while? in landscaping business?

10. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it looks like a good idea. Seems effecient and professional, I may look into getting one in the future.