1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever call you their gardner?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ofishil, Apr 20, 2005.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I have a new cust. and he likes to call me his gardner. I have no idea why but it really bugs me. Most of my cust. call me by my name, or the lawn guy. Maybe I am overreacting.

2. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Alot of guys would flip . I would say something if it bugs ya ! But dont be an a** about it .

3. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

He is just proud that he can afford someone ,so charge him more when gas prices jump up again in the comming months. :D

4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

It doesnt bug me a bit. Its not ment to be an insult and its true, we all get the attitude some times that "oh, thats just the gardner". Its what keeps us humble. Just keep making that money. As long as I'm geting paid (well), im happy.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

i am a gardner and landscaper,I do renovations and know hoe to work with plants in a garden that makes me a gardener and that's OK with me,I get nothing but respect from the people who hire me.Nothing to be ashamed of being a gardner,it's a professional skill.

6. mike freeman

mike freeman LawnSite Member
    from DFW

I'm not in the business, but I would consider 'Gardner' to be as high or higher title then 'Lawn guy'.

I hire a Lawn guy to cut my grass, I hire a Gardner to maintain my million dollar estate. (i.e., more then just cutting grass) Of course, I would expect to pay more for a gardner then a lawn guy too.

Now if I only had a million dollar estate, I to, could impress my friends by hiring a Gardner. :D

For the amount of contact, I would just ignore it if it bothers you, as long as the checks clear. It is more then likely just an ego thing or the term they grew up with for a lawn maintenance professional.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gardner, Lawn Guy, Landscaper...really, who cares?

8. Aussie Topcat

Aussie Topcat LawnSite Member

The gardener sound good, better that the guy that cut the grass.

Now charge him more! gardener's get paid more than the lawn guy. LOL :laugh:

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I guess this would be the equivalent to the "maid/cleaning lady" dilemna for women.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i will become like the gardener on desperate housewives " doing the clients "hahhhahhhah i say honey look at him and look at me... nuff said.. :blush: