anyone ever change an open trailer to enclosed

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smitty58, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, how hideous would this look. Take a open 7 x16 trailer and make it an enclosed. Maybe keep part of it open for mulch or whatever. I know I've seen one on here ,but now I can't find it. I have my trailer for sale so I can buy an enclosed one then I got this bright idea. How tough would it be? How much would it cost? and How goofy would it look? Don't want to change my name to "Jed Clampetts Lawn Care" ,but if it could be done and look good ,why not?

2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

No, the one I saw was a factory built trailer with 1/2 open and 1/2 enclosed.

4. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, never mind. Cheers :drinkup:

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Sort of like a chip dump body? Or do you man like the ones the nurseries use that are like a U-Haul box front cut in half with a stake bed rear?

6. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I justa had a trailer made for me that is a combination enclosed open trailer.
    It is a 18' 14000# tandem axle trailer. The front 6' is an anenclosed trailer and the back 12' is an open trailer with 3' remveable mesh sides.

It is similar, but not identical to this one.

I HOPE to go pick up my trailer this week. It supossedly was finished Friday afternoon.

VersaTrail01.jpg

7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't that going to put alot of weight on the tongue once you get it loaded and hooked up??

8. Hamons

Yes it will == but not more than my 3/4 ton can handle. THe front area will cary basically small eqipment such as aerators, sprayers, hand tools, plants, fertilizers, etc. The baack will hold all of the heavy stuff. I am more concerened about get too much weight on the back end if loaded with gravel of wet soil and then lifting up my back wheels a bit. I hate that!

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not making fun of the trailer, I kinda like the idea of keeping trimmers and blowers , gas cans out of the weather and site of thieves, but it looks like a 6x8 enclosed trailer sitting sideways on the tongue. Is that basically what it is? Is the box as strong as a small enclosed trailer?

10. Hamons

On my trailer the enclosed is built just like an enclosed trailer == so -- yes -- it just as stong. THe entire frame is conected togethre--- It is one trailer -- not two seperate trailers.