1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever chop up a customers TV cable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Dec 29, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been tempted after the third or fourth mowing and the cable company hasnt been back to bury it. Is anyone less patent than I? what came of it?

2. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have no idea what you just said.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, i've chopped up hoses, cable wires, extention cords, shoes, and jewelery. they shouldn't have been in the lawn. i never mentioned any of them, except for the extention cord. i left it in pieces, on the front steps, with a note: "you're damn lucky i didn't get electrocuted." never heard anything about the cable wire when i did that either. screw em, there is a state/city code for how deep the cable is supposed to be buried, they are not supposed to be on the surface

4. LAWN-BOYZ

LAWN-BOYZ LawnSite Member

I have three times. Each time I just went to the local hardware store and fixes the cable myself. Customers need their cable fixed pronto, or they can get quite irate :mad: - I have no time for the cable company!

5. exmarkjockey

exmarkjockey LawnSite Member

Yeah, that drives me nuts too. Around here the cable company will sometimes go months before they will come back and bury the line. Why they don't just go ahead and do it while they are there I have no idea.

6. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with Bobby on this one. I would try to avoid it but if I don't see it tough luck. Running over a bunch of stuff is hard on the mower but what can you do? I have chopped a cable tv line in half working in a flower bed once. Just fix it and keep rolling. -Paul

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

I WAS AREATING my yard this fall and hit the cable line . i called the cable co and told them they had idots working for them and that they had buried the line too shallow . there were out here with in 5 min to fix it

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yes, I have chopped the TV cable 3-4 times. each at a different location.

once I chopped it and 30 seconds later I saw the cable guy coming toward me on the road.

waved him down and he fixed it on the spot. he gave me some union pieces and an old squeezer tool to keep in case I ever hit another.

I tried to thank him but he just laughed and said I would be doing him a favor.

GEO

9. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

Too many times to count on both hands. Most of the time its a free fix; or at least I never had to pay for it. One condo we used to work had the cable strung over one of the lawns and it stayed there for over 6 weeks as a "temporary fix". After having a guy hold the wire up each week so the mower could get under, I gave the landscape chair the choice of getting the cable company out to bury it, or we were going to run over it and screw the people who were ultimately affected. The cable was buried by the next visit.

10. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i chopped one with the weed wacker....the homeowner called me and i asked for the cable companys number...i called them and told them what happend, they fixed it the next day