Anyone ever deal with Daystar or USM?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

What were your opinions? Ive met some of their employees in person and have mixed reviews from others i've spoken with. They're a company that many times subs out work to the "lower guys" that are in specific areas to handle corporate or commercial accounts. We've done some work in-directly for them and have an opportunity to work directly with them on some account maintenance. Im sure a lot of you guys have at least heard of them right?

2. Ramairfreak98ss

guess theyre not as popular as i thought :p

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

stay away from them. nothin but trouble. if you do see your money... itll be several months later.

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah ive heard that one before too. Figured id get some second opinions on here... We only work a maximum of 30 day terms for any commercial bills. Most of our current commercial invoices are paid well in advance of that even. Sometimes stuff goes wrong and the company mistakenly misses an invoice, but its paid eventually. Doing large scale jobs, there is no way we could pay out big $$$$ in labor and supplies only to have to wait on it for 60-90 days or longer.

Ive heard of a company owner thats STILL waiting on payments from minor snow removal/salting work from February/March 08, ouch. Didn't want to jump the gun and turn away from the company just on a couple peoples opinion though. Thanks

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I have dealt with them from time to time.

I will say that they will try all the lowest bidders first until the properties get mad enough that they will hire someone reputable and pay.

Their "target contractor" are the guys on here that "want to get into commercial accounts"

They call these guys up out of the blue and offer them a few commercial stores...Pharmacies and such. Most of these guys are so excited to get the jobs they dont really care that the price is way below what it should be.

With that being said....That is their business....They contract with lets say Rite Aid pharmacy to do all their stores in a region, then their job is to find contractors to do it cheaper than they are charging Rite Aid and they get to keep the rest.

As far as payment...I will say that I have never had a problem with them. They have always paid as stated.

I dont do much work for them now, but they will call out of the blue for a strange, out of the ordinary job, they need done and if they accept my price, I do the work and they pay.

So as far as my experience goes, I see no reason not to work for them....Other large companies that operate like they do may not be so reputable

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Thanks Procut... we've done commercial work before but not big time into it.

Id gladly like to get an "in" with a big company, but if they're looking for lowball #s and shoddy work, theyre not going to like what i have to offer them then.

To do multiple stores, no matter which service it is, takes time, preparation of routes etc and lots of planning. If it were one thing here and there no problem, set a price and do it. If they wanted you to perform a service at 15 sites, now it gets complicated for scheduling and if you can't make a profit after all of the labor to cover every expense, its not worth going out to do the work to begin with... even if you are busy out the wazoo.