anyone ever do a reversal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Feb 16, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

we talk about dealers taking care of "lucrative" spenders. like putting their mower in the front of the line or lending a loaner. what i want to know, how many of you tried to suck up to a dealer by offering free or discounted services to the owner in exchange for first class service? did it work or is this something to avoid? i'm not planning on doing it, i just had this idea in my head. thanks.

randy.

2. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

buy expensive items and only from them and youll be treated like that ;)

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I have an LCO that's doing all kinds of stuff for me at my biz and hes thrilled that we're about to start carrying Echo. And he'll probably get some Bad Boy mowers from me
    as well. But absolutely, it works on us. As he buys more stuff from me,
    I'll be cutting him better deals and returning favors. Nothing wrong with building a relationship between a dealer and customer.

4. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i don't think they care about services

there is a direct correlation to the amount you spend and how happy they are to see you..the only people happy to see me at the local dealership... is the parts counter

no offense dealers....

Nate

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

every dealer is different. We like to see you buying parts and whole goods. Parts have much higher margins, but whole goods generate much more income. That's a mistake if that dealer isn't pushing their whole goods.

6. lawnwizards

o.k. i dont think you all are getting what i'm saying. has anyone ever offered the owner of your dealership any "perks" free mowing, free labor on landscaping, etc... in exchange for 1st class service at the dealership. you know, instead of spending 1000's of dollars to get that service.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I think your missing the point that everyone is trying to make. Buy your equipment from your local dealer and support them and they will treat you the same with good, prompt service. To answer your question at least for me the answer is NO I don't have to. I get great service from my dealer all the time. I don't buy everything from them just the bigger equipment and parts I need, most small equipment like trimmers, blowers and so on I buy from www.alamia.com and I've had great service with them as well and it saves me money.

8. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

all kidding aside..... They treat me great at the parts counter....The salesman and repair guys give me a bunch of crap.....all in good fun of course... i give it back to them....

If i did tell a saleman i was considering a new mower i belive not only would they help me make a educated choice.... but would probably bend over backwards to close the deal.

it would be like getting ali to say.... maybe i wasn't the greatest..

They do have a couple very nice demo units sitting around for a little too long....Perhaps if i get all of my municipal bids i might own a nice little z

Nate

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

No. The dealer I go to has his place set up so he doesn't have to worry about outdoor maintenance issues. He has a little plot of grass in the back of the shop, but he sends out a tech when they're dead to mow it.

Same thing as everyone else is saying, it's easier to be good to the dealer and he'll be good right back. I buy everything I can from one guy and he does allthe stuff you said. Puts me at the front of the line, comes out to the trailer to fix little stuff at no charge, and gets me right back out. No lube required. Just purchase from him.

10. lawnwizards

but what about the owners house?