1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone ever do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 18, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, as most of you know, because ive been "airing out my dirty laundry", ill be going full time lawn boy soon enough. well, i saw an opportunity today, and i jumped on it. while driving down the road, i see this lovely young lady killing herself, and her high grass, trying to cut it with a pushmower set at about an inch high. so, i say to myself, "thats my new lawn". plus, i wanted a closer look at her behind. so i stop, "good morning mam, please excuse me for not minding my own business, but as u can see, we cut grass for a living, can i give u some advice.?" she seems a little frightened and doesnt say a word, so i continue, " if u raise the height of the deck, you will have a much easier time cutting the lawn cus its high." she goes how do i do that. so hop out of the truck, she really looks scared now, and i show her the adjustments, and raise it for her. i say, "try that." and i start getting back in my truck. shes like, wait, dont go, i think i love you(no, i just made that part up), we start talkin, before u know it, im cuttin her every week, and...takin down a huge pine, for $700. call it begging, i dont care, i need the work
  2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with drummin' up business(as long as it's legal) I helped a lady mow her lawn similar to what you did;come to find out she traveled a lot and was thinking of calling a lawn care company.One less phone call for her and one more client for me.She was trying to cut 8" of grass,it was kinda funny and I did feel sorry for her.We had a commercial business about 20 feet from her home so no travel time.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That's fine Bobby

Best part is it didn't cost you any advertising or being the salesman to get the job.

You offered assistence to a person when they were the most vulnerable. Not like she wanted to cut grass. That was obvious by the fact it was so long.
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

not begging,that was good business.keep it up and you'll do fine.
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Way to go Cliffee:cool:
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'm so proud of you, bobby. Boy, they grow up so fast.;)
  7. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

yep bobby, there is a plethora of 30 year old divorcees out there who would love a big strong man like you to come over and cut them weekly. Take advantage of what the market domegraphics are and prosper.
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

yeah ive done this bobby, and it works great too!:cool:
  9. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

Hopefully the word gets around about how nice you are and you will get some more jobs. Hopefully everything goes great.
  10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What'd I tell you folks, he's a people person.