Anyone ever experiance single wheeled velke problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky05, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two hydro walk behinds, they are both husqvarna. One is a 48 inch deck and the other is a 36. Both have singled wheeled velke's on them. The one that was on the 36 recently has kept getting clogged with wet grass then the tire would not roll. So if I was in high, wet grass I would have to stop at least 3 times a day and unscrew the bolt, take the wheel off and pull out the compacted grass. Well from this happening all the time, needless to say the tire has become ruined. The whole side of it is completely shredded. So I go to this dealer and I buy a brand new tire, but I dont buy one that you need to fill with air, this one is always filled. So I put the tire one and now it makes this weird vibrating feeling on my feet when I am using it. I greased it heavily and it really didnt do anything, also when I am mowing up small hills or grades, the front of the mower now lifts up.

Are there different sizes for this velke wheel? Has someone ever experianced this first-hand? It is just really annoying now.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are several parts to a velke that wear out over time, any and all of them can and will severely affect handling.

It would appear, in your case, the wheel is not turning properly: You won't notice much while riding, but the front of your deck lifting as well as the grass getting caught up inside is a sign of velke tire dragging.

First, remove the bolt and wheel and inspect the inside of the velke for obstructions, sometimes a pine cone gets caught up in there LOL and yes that is enough to block the wheel from turning as well as other stuff, whatever... If that is not the case, now remove the bearings from it, clean them up real good with some degreaser and inspect them - If you do not know what worn bearings look like or you are not sure how to tell if they are worn, I dare say this is most likely your problem and you might just replace them anyway.

In a pinch, I believe you MIGHT be able to remove the bolt, bearings and wheel from a caster just to compare the bearings to each other and check things this way (degrease the caster's bearings as well), keep in mind they are usually a little bit different size so make sure you don't mix them up.

In addition, there are hitch bushings and trailer arm bushings that wear out over time. In my case, I find myself replacing these about every year or two. Although I can't say what is happening to you has ever happened to me due to worn bushings (and mine got pretty bad before I learned), it may still be worth checking into.

On a side note, you can get a brand-new velke from J-Thomas for $200.00, I always have at least two because sometimes I can't get the parts to fix one right away.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive had some of the same problems over the years so.......ditto on what top says

wayne

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I had a one wheeled Velkie on a hydro and I like it better than my two wheeled one I have now. This two wheeled likes to snap and twist your ankles on uneven areas, like going from the sidewalk to the lawn while cutting at a diagonal. But the one wheeled did leave a nasty looking rut where as the two wheeled one doesn't.:waving:

5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use my velke much anymore. But I did have problems with grass building up inside of it and forcing the wheel to lock up. So I cut the top off the thing. This was an effective solution.

6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Switch to jungle wheels they have 2 tries w/platform to stand, much easier for backing up and less problems.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

never had the grass build up problem but my gripe is the wheel is too SMALL! seems like it was desighned for short northern grass and not 3-4 inch tall thick st aug. the factory is in central florida too! it got destroyed buy the hurricanes 2 yrs ago and service/parts hasnt ever recovered. my dealer has dropped them. in short i am looking for a new 2 wheeled sulky now

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have probably 9 or 10 of the single wheel velkies...been using them for years and years. When they wear out, we just buy new. I absolutely hate the 2 wheel type. They make ya feel like you are getting cork screwed into the ground as ya go along and suck backing up with too btw.

9. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with crap getting jammed up in the fall with the wet leaves and such. By time you notice it it's packed in like cement. If it was at the end on the day I'd use the pwoer washer to blast it out but that makes a mess. I still have it for my bakcup toro mower. Now I have a Stander. Although I might be using the toro tommorow since the Stander blew the hydro belt last cut tonight.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's interesting, how some Lco's just buy new while others rebuild :)

I've studied the situation and have to admit, timewise it's just as worth it either way, depends how you look at it is all.

You wouldn't be interested in selling the worn ones, would you? On that note, you probably can do that in town, folks would buy them from you left and right, the bushings are only a few dollars, the bearings a bit more.