1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever fill a pool with topsoil?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Mar 26, 2006.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I had a customer ask me to quote filling his concrete pool with dirt or anything so he could use the area, he hasent used it in 10 years.

Any problems with filling it with fill dirt? Will it fill up with water and make like a sponge and make like a mud hole?? Thanks alot

Jason

2. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Ive heard of doing the same thing But i think you have to knock holes out of the bottom of the pool

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is just like a big flower pot. We had a customer that had us do it and planted bushes and a tree in it. People do goofy things. I tried to get them to put a deck over it so when it was sold they could claim a pool.

4. moss2940

moss2940 LawnSite Member
    from texas

I did it in at a house we use to own.
    You definitely have to put a few holes in the bottom or it would be a mess. One other thing is you have to knock the side walls down a foot or two so they won't burn the grass when it is hot out.
    I rented a jack hammer to do all of the demolition, it went fairly quickly since you can just let the areas you jack hammer fall into the pool, no clean up.
    I had the dirt brought in and rented a Bobcat to move the dirt.
    One other thing it took a lot of loads of dirt to fill it in.
    I lived there for several years after we demolished it and never noticed anything unusual in the area after we filled it in.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Some kind of drainage is absolutely necessary.

6. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

If You Could I Would Highly Recomend Demoing The Pool And Filling It In With Some Cheap Bankrun Or Common Fill,and Then Top Dress The Area With Loam If He Wants To Grow Grass On It.if You Cant Demo The Pool Just Make Sure You Have Plenty Of Drainage Before You Fill It In..

7. CrewCutEnterprises

he wants to make a flowerbed out of it,

But i would assume a few holes in the bottom 2x2 would be ok?? Let me know

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you sheshovel. Bring in the big equip and do away with it.

9. CrewCutEnterprises

Well when someone is going to get rid of a pool and wants to pay 1000 to fill it with dirt,

I doubt they will go with the 2500 option of demoing it and then rebuilding the turf.

But maybe

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

There was another Thread about this not long ago.