Anyone ever gone door to door?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royallawncare, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

I have been passing out fliers now for over a week daily and have yet to have as much success early on as i would like i know it's a waiting game but i figure their are plenty of people who could use my services if i just knocked on their door and offered my services i could sell them some... has anyone ever tried this? what are your methods? and has it been worth your time?
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey bro, how about trying a couple of periods and commas every now and then. Man.... I had a hard time reading that.

Give the fliers time. Success is only 1-2% of fliers distributed.
  3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you feel when people knock on your door trying to sell you stuff?
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

check local laws on that. some communities don't allow it and many are making soliciters acquire permits to do so.
  5. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

I'm sensing, that you are saying i shouldnt go door to door at all...There is a local company that does this near me and they sign up 20 or so accounts every year just by going door to door. so i was wondering if any of you had found any success with this method.
  6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

this actually reminds me....
    TRUE definition of soliciting??? When you see a "No Soliciting" sign in the front of a development...

Everyone I ask agrees... 'soliciting' = door to door *knocking* and trying to sell something..etc avon, marykay, magazines......

and NOT delivering flyers or mailer without bothering or harassing the homeowner while they're in their home.

True or False??? What does "No soliciting" mean???
  7. quint7

quint7 LawnSite Member

I am trying to grow myself dont't get frustrated. Be patient treat your folks good and do professional work and it will come. At least thats what friends that run allot bigger outfits than me told me.
  8. Pal Meadows Prop. Mg

Pal Meadows Prop. Mg LawnSite Member

First, and foremost, how long have you been in the business???
    Secondly, do you have any account already in the area that U are promoting in???
    Thirdly, how much public visibility do U have??? (Meaning- do U have any larger accts that you can park the truck out and have the truck be seen, or is your trailer lettered with large letters.)
    I've been where U are, and it's really difficult. :waving:
  9. paridise

paridise LawnSite Member

Try door hangers they seem to be doing good for me this way you don't have to bother anybody and they still get your message.
  10. cutrite

cutrite LawnSite Member

The year that i got 57 new customers it was word of mouth and fliers in neighborhoods. No advertising in the paper, no photo-ops with camera crew,just lots of foot work.I would right a quote on the bottom,I will mow your yard for (x) amount. Since I'm getting back in to this, how do you guys measure a yard for qoutes-fliers.I assuming you don't. I can picture a homeowner with his dog brutus(sick em boy).But its for my flier ----------ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Imean if my price is off a little because I couldn't measure just tell them that when you talk to them. Say I will mow for the price I gave you for a month then we'll have to raise the price a lillte bit. If they have an idea of what you will charge,I think you will have a better chance at getting the account.Good luck. :dizzy: