Anyone ever had a dog die and customer blamed them

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Mar 12, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Anyone ever have a dog die and customer placed blame on you for all your chemicals you put down. I had a guy the other day wants tick control and lawn program, but doesnt want me to put anything down that could kill his dog. I said that the dogs should stay off for 24 hours min preferably more. I explained that i take vitamins daily but if i take more than the reccomended dose i could die, i could feed an elephant enough vitaminsto kill it if i was way overboard on a dosage. He said that he understood but if his dogs got sick, or died hed hold me responcible. Yeah funny how a 20,000 sq ft lawn came in at $250.00 per treatment, and $500 for merit. $300.00 for tick control 3 times a year talstar and tempo liguid srayed on edges. We will see if he is stupid enough to go for it. If i have to deal with someone who might place blame on me they are going to pay. I should probably walk, I am sure ill be complaining about this guy later this season on here.:hammerhead:

2. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

I bid high on those I don't really want to do. It is a PITA fee tacked on and is perfectly justified.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

To some people, their dogs aren't really worth anything...until something happens to them... Then they are worth $15,000.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You're the boss, you know it ain't gonna work it's time to walk away. Let a new guy deal with him.

5. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

As a matter of fact, last year we were doing our round 2 apps of liquid pre-m and granular fert, in a neighborhood that has mainly 1-2 acre lots. We usually spray them on a Sat, and do around 6-7 of them around there. Everybody knows our trucks out there so they all saw us spraying and ferting. I got a phone call on Mon. morning from a homeowner who asked what it was I sprayed. I explained to her it was the same thing we spray on every account in that neighborhood, pre-emergent and granular fert. She told me that her vet is waiting on a phone call from me asap!!!! I called the vet, gave her the msds sheets and labels, and told the vet that I wouldn't spray anything that I would put on my own lawn, since I have a little weiner dog. The vet said they found green pellets in the dogs stomach!! They actually did an autopsy on a dog!! I kinda got nervous then, since we did spread n spray. About a 3 weeks later I found out that 5 more dogs died out there!! Wow, I was sweating bullets now. Within another week they found out that someone had dumped some stricnyne(sp) in this neighborhood, and that was what they found in the dogs stomach.:dizzy: I was very relieved, all I could think about was major lawsuit, and jail time. I guess that is the same stuff they used to put in rat poison, and when the dogs eat it they get rigormortis(sp) and cant breathe, then eventually go into convulsions and die.

To make a long story short, stay away from any situation that might cost you a lawsuit. Needless to say, I still treat in that area, but we treat more yards now.

Good luck,
    John..

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Terrible story, glad it turned out ok for you, too bad about the dogs...the damn things will eat anything!

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Keep in mind that as long as you are following the labels and the laws to a T, then you cannot go to jail.

You CAN be sued, however the courts see the value of a dog at the cost at the pet store, not like a person where you could be sued for wrongful death for a large sum of money.

8. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I've killed a few customers, but no dogs.

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes I think about it:dancing:

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

This is what insurence is for