anyone ever have it happen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Aug 8, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

when someone talks about employees, the first thing everyone says is to pay workmans comp. my question is, how many of you have had a worker get injured and the workman comp saved your butt? are injuries common with workers?

2. Nope , never had one get hurt, BUT only takes one time to lose everything I have worked for if I didn't have it.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Doesn't matter if they are common or not, one injured employee can ruin you.

4. lawnwizards

please elaborate. how can a common injury ruin an owner? do you have experience with this?

5. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

It is quite easy for hospital charges to run into the hundreds of thousands, which you will be liable for. Rules vary from state to state but without the w/c insurance you could also be liable for civil damages.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If you have an employee who gets hurt on the clock. You don't have workman's comp, you don't have the money to pay thousands of dollars in doctor bills. The courts will get their money from you somehow, be it taking your business, home or assets.

7. lawnwizards

thanks for the posts guys, i just don't think you get what i'm trying to find out? has anyone had injuries and how much would they have cost you if you had to pay for them?

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I had one. Saved me $105. What a lifesaver that was. WC is a ripoff you have to have in some cases.

9. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

I used to be a commerdial painting contractor. I had an employee get paint under his skin (from an airless paint sprayer). It was about a $30,000 hit. That was over 15 years ago. With hospital expenses what they are now, that could easily be $60-80,000. This was a minor (but dangerous) injury.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

YES!!!! Just last year we had an employee who was pushing a boulder and he tore his shoulder appart. $18,000 in surgery and medical expenses later and 6 months off of work [PAID!] before he could return to "light duty" later, YES, I am glad I had worker's comp. to cover me. That would have really sucked had I not been insured.

That was the only time in 7 or 8 years of having employees that we ever had to make a big claim. There have been a few small claims. But this was really the only one worth mentioning. But just that one injury was worth having insurance all the other years.