Anyone ever heard of 4: height of cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeautifulBlooms, Jun 17, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer tell me that I was cutting too low on his propety at 3" so I offered 3.5" inches and told him I do have one other customer that gets a south facing slope at 3.5" to helpe ase the droughty conditions and full exposure.

He said he has always mowed at 4", I said I could try that and see how it looks but I have never heard of lawns being cut above 3.5" the only place for 4" grass in my opinion is a golf course rough. However, I can understand as long as I can still get the grass to stand up and cut properly 4" will be fine, but I couldn't promise how it would look.

Anyone else ever have anyone tell them to cut at 4"???

2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Tall fescue likes 4" HOC.

3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I do one front yard at 4 and it looks good. Has all the afternoon sun and before i went to 4 and they started watering it was a crispy critter. Now we are in a very long dry spell here as well and this is the first year I have cut his yard on 4. I had to drill it in his head to get the hose out and start watering too.

JP

4. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Most cool season grasses need a taller HOC in the summer. Plus, they prefer the taller cut. I have one property that I don't even drop the deck. 4.5"..

5. RutledgeLawnCare NC

RutledgeLawnCare NC LawnSite Member

its hard to get a client like that...who insists on a tall cut. thanks

6. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

we mow everything at 4", tall fescue and blue

7. SEALAWNMANAGEMENT

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT LawnSite Member

Same here. I cut all my accounts at 4". Unless they really want it lower. It seems to be better on the grass plus it is easier on my mowers. Mostly fescue yards.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

4" is better on the Northern grasses and makes it harder for the weeds to invade. Not many of my customers will let me cut that high though. They shave it like a new Marine here (home owners). It's hard to get them to understand that it's hard on the grass. I have one lady from another country (very nice) that likes it at 2.5" or less. She had her husband trim to save money even though it's apparent they have plenty of money and good jobs. Now he's on a used MTD cutting it into the dirt every week. I hope shes happy, I sure am (to get rid of the account).

9. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

4" on most of my lawns. Never below 3.5" for me somtimes even 4.5"

10. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

4" usually looks great on thick, cool season grasses. It only looks like crap on the thinner lawns.