1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone ever heard of this!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baddboygeorge, Feb 8, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

have ya ever heard of killing out a yard with round-up an seeding the same day!! i was talking to a guy on here (an he knows who he is)an he said he can killout with round-up an seed the same day . i have never heard of that an i have been using round-up since its been out.rule of thumb to reseed is 7 days on round-up .. can anyone clarify that this is rite!! thanks!
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

It might work. Roundup goes into the foliage of a plant. The grass blades and leaves for example. It doesn't actually make the soil "unplantable". My guess is that it wont harm the seed because it has no way of "ingesting" the Roundup. By the time the seed germinates, the Roundup is long gone.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done it at least 20 times. Spray, go mow a few yards or go to lunch. Come back and aerate, then seed. I know it says 7 days on the label but if you have a bid to renovate a lawn in late Oct. then you just have to get it done. Seems like the lawns turn out alright with this method.
  4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Never heard of it. But bob is right, there is no way of the seed "indigesting" the round-up. It might be something worthwhile for me to try out.
  5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

You need to follow the label.

What happens if you miss a spot with the Roundup. You a big problem.

I always wait on seeding.

There have cases were the Roundup stays on Organic material in the lawn. Say lack of rain or some weather condition were the Roundup in still on the grass. Well when the new grass starts to germinate and spout, it comes in contact with the Roundup. It will kill that young sprout.

I have seen this done in AG applications. When farmers would spray roundup on pastures to renovate these fields.

Don't set yourself up for problems....
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

By GreenGrow- "Say lack of rain or some weather condition were the Roundup in still on the grass. Well when the new grass starts to germinate and spout"

If it doesn't rain or get much water then the seed will not germinate which equals another problem.

Also I always overlap spraying and use tracker so missing anything is quite unlikely.

Also I only do this as a last resort. Usually I will wait several days before seeding, but if the season is almost over then you've gotta do what you've gotta do. I also inform the customer of exactly what I'm doing so they understand why I'm doing it a little differently than how I normally would.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would want to wait and see if I missed any areas and had to go back. Then I would seed.
  8. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Works great. Depends on the situation. If there is little travel time involved, and no other reason to hurry, I would wait to get the visual confirmation that the Roundup has worked. But if prime seeding season is running our, or the job is some distance away, etc, I would go with same day.

I have heard that on some golf courses, where they want to renovate, and have as little down time as possible, they slit seed first and then wait a few days and apply the roundup just before the new seed emerges. This way the new grass is already greening by the time the old turns brown.

Austreim Landscaping
  9. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Last year, I believe the same thread came up and was discussed in detail.
  10. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

I know I am going to get "burned" on this but here I go-

If the label on a pesticide says that the withholding period shows seven days then why are you going against the manufacturers instructions?

The manufacturer does not put this information on the label for nothing.By following the practices set out by the label you protect yourself if something goes wrong.

I know that it is often time saving or cost saving to cut corners but no wonder goverment legislation is tightening all the time if people do not follow manufacturers instructions.