Anyone ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by P&C Lawn Care, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. P&C Lawn Care

    P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 373

    Cocoa Mulch Can Be Deadly For Pets
    Metro Veterinarian Says Mulch Could Cause Pet Deaths

    POSTED: 10:27 pm CST March 31, 2004
    UPDATED: 10:36 pm CST March 31, 2004

    OKLAHOMA CITY -- Although people may be aware of the dangers of letting their pets eat chocolate, most likely aren’t aware that a chocolate-scented yard mulch could be just as deadly.

    Cocoa shell mulch is a popular product for gardens and flower beds that smells like chocolate, but it can actually kill pets, according to veterinarians.

    Gardening experts at TLC Gardening Center told Eyewitness News 5’s Cherokee Ballard that the cocoa shells work as a great mulch. They said they sell thousands of bags of the cocoa hulls each year.

    However, Dr. Jeff Henderson at the Britton Road Animal Clinic said the chemicals in the cocoa shells could be deadly if ingested by an animal.

    “It causes elevated heart rate, nervous excitement (and) an elevation in blood pressure,” he said. “If high enough, ultimately it can cause seizures and death ... but it takes a lot.”

    Henderson said he has never seen any cases related to cocoa mulch.

    But he said that gardeners who also own pets may want to reconsider before purchasing the popular mulch
  2. joshua

    joshua LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,226

    yes, animals are suppose to be alergic to chocolate.
  3. MoCut1

    MoCut1 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 28


Share This Page