Anyone ever heard of U.S. Lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, Jan 24, 2006.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I seen this advertised in turf magazine and wondering if anyone has looked into it. Its a nationwide franchise that they say if you convert your business into U.S. Lawns, they can help you grow and train you in all fields. Im sure the franchise fees arent cheap. Just wondering what it was all about.

www.uslawns.com

Jason

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

There is one guy running around here Solo as a US Lawn frany and I really don't see him doing much.

Why would you want to pay somelse tens of thousands of dollars upfront and then a percentage of your earnings just for the right to using their name and doing what you can do without them anyway?

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I bet that guy feels special though!!!

If your capable of starting and running a successful business you wouldn't need the franchise. If you can't start and run a successful business, a franchise isn't going to help. Its all what the person makes it. Just a waste of money. Maybe he feels when US Lawns takes over the country and all the lawnboys are gone he'll dominate his area????

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That, and you'll operate by their rules and regulations... I don't like franchises myself, not to say I look down on others for doing it, but it's just not for me. That's something each person has to decide for themselves, keeping in mind that if you do franchise, u.s. lawns will dictate how things are done anywhere from a fair, to a good extent. You'll have some room to decide how things go, with other things, they say how it is.

I would also check their locations, they have two in my state, one in Ashburn, another in Newport News... Me, I am in Richmond, far away from both branches (at least an hour's drive). I don't mean no harm but with a franchise, I want a branch 15-20, maybe 30 minutes from my driveway so if I got to walk in their office, at least I can... I don't like the idea of remote management, but that's just me. If they had an office local to me, I might go by there, check them out at least, if I were seriously considering this.

As for me, I would never go franchise, it's not my own business and it costs more money to do it. However, it can improve the looks of your business (they may have standards on what kind of trucks you can use, too), you'll have letters on the truck which may look really cool, plus the backing of someone who, supposedly, knows what they're doing. As for me, if I had ten grand to blow, I would buy me a new truck and be done with it, but hey.

No, I've never heard of them but that doesn't mean they're worthless... It's just a smaller operation than say, chemlawn. The potential is there, keeping in mind it will be up to you to realize the potential (translation: it's still a lot of work, lol).

6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

When I was in san destin resort for a bible class I saw that lawn service cut over there. I talked to one guy and he offered me his scag walk-behind. He said it's the only scag they have. They use exmark and stihl.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Whats that mean he was going to give it to you? or....

8. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Yeah, I know a guy doing things with US Lawns. He also works three jobs, because he's not working for himself he working of US Lawns. He owes them so much money he'll never get ahead. The other thing I heard about them is that their big thing is to buy out small guys.

9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are right. To me, it seems that they would first have to pay me a lot of money to take over what I already have, but there is no way I would do something like that after building everything up for 8 yrs.

Jason

10. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

They have to buy lawns from us because their not good enough to go find their own!