Anyone ever hurt a pet?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnTamer, Apr 29, 2006.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have often wondered if anything we use could really harm a cat/dog. We always tell people to keep pets off till the lawn is dry, but I couldn't tell ya'll how many times I've had homeowners let pets out while I'm still there, (usually the kids let them out.)
    I've never had a problem, but I was wondering if anyone else had.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I had a customer with a dog who died on her a few years ago. I had been fertilizing her lawn for 3 years, the company for 15 years prior to that. The dog was a puppy when we started. It died of extreme old age at 18.
    The only time I ever "hurt" a pet was with, of all things, grass seed. The dog used to like to follow me around and snap at the stuff that was coming out of the sreader (found this out wit the seed, never ate any fert). It got a seed in the eye while I was overseeding, and they had to take it to the vet to have it flushed out. Exceptionally stupid dog. It also had to go to the vet to have a TV remote surgically removed from its stomach...
  3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i stepped on a dog's tail once

but i guess that dont count?
  4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

rat bait will do it...
  5. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

Got a lady's dog that loves my blower. I tried to keep from blowing directly at the dog but she would run around in front of the blower and try to eat the wind. Finally I just stopped moving and the dog almost bit the end off the blower all the while her lips were flying out, tongue whipping around and ears a flopping. Guess she just likes the wind in her face. Maybe its better than sticking her head out a moving truck.

Did't hurt her and she keeps it up week after week.

Was also weed eating along a fence when a neighbors dog started biting at the business end of the eater. Got that dog several times on the nose, she yelped and came back for more. That had to of hurt but it keeps coming back.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

One nasty story:
    Worked for a pest control company. The guy I replaced left a bucket of mouse poison blocks open. Family golden retriever eats 3 or 4 of them. The ingredient in them is Warfarin, which is a blood thinner. For training purposes they showed me pictures of the dog (the family's lawyer used them in court) bleeding from every orifice. The poor thing survived, but man was that nasty!! If you were ever caught leaving your rat poison bucket open and unattended, you were fired on the spot.
  7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Was accused of killing a gold fish one time.After explaining that one fish out of a pond full, it was unlikely my work. The homeowner backed off.

Seriosly, years ago(30) I treat townhouse lawns with "Dursban" and made the mail man sick. It seems he walk from door on treat grass and was sentative I quess.
  8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Other than occasionally blowing a bird or Squirells nest out of a tree with an FMC gun, I don't ever recall killing a pet.

Years ago one of my full service LCO customers guys sucked up "Fluffy" the dog with a Giant Vac. The woman was walking the grounds with the LCO owner when it happened though she never saw the results. His men left quickly, called the boss from down the street & he had to tell her. Yeah, he lost the job.

Another guy last summer had me fax some Rat Block MSDS to his customer's Vet. Bait Blocks shoiukd always be secured in a tamper resistant bait station. But a cheap PCO working for a cheap client is a reciped for just such a disaster.
  9. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Ran over a cat one time with my aerator, thing still lived so I used my dethatcher. :laugh: Just kidding.
  10. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

But I have a list. One client adopted two little yappy POS dogs after her old Springer Spaniel died. The maid was walking them on leads and approached me to chew the fat. As she was finishing her first sentence, I noticed a 3-lb, 4-legged hackey-sack had taken some skin off the back of my left hand while I wasn't paying attention. She apologized, and I said "Oh, that's all right".
    A few weeks later the little bastid took another run at me and I promised her that if she didn't take it inside I'd wear it like a slipper.
    I think that everyone gets accused of poisoning Spot with Round Up sooner or later, but there are very few products on the market that present mammalian toxicity issues.