Anyone ever lease a truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Nov 18, 2003.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone leasing a newer truck for the biz? What are your opinions on this?

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

always have and always will,benefical to my company to have new trucks every 2-3 years,not that the deduction is any better but it works for me...

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Pros- Always under warranty
    Tires last for the whole lease (usually)
    write off the whole payment

Cons- No equity build up
    can't customize to you needs

I leased three trucks in a row and then finally bought my last one, I bought an extended 100,000 mile warranty on it and am looking forward to owning it free and clear in 5 years. Then I will give it to the lawn crew and buy myself another new one.:cool2:

4. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

hey CNYScapes where are you located in Central New York?

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Im in Clay, by the great northern mall, most of my work is in liverpool

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I stand on the roof of the truck to trim palms, scratch it while loading it, ect. I dont think leasing is for me.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

A company in this area goes through Hertz auto rental for all their trucks. Seems to work well for them although they constantly are returning trucks for service---the powerstroke fords apparently go through automatic trannies and brakes. Must be nice to just return the truck and get a replacement when something breaks.

9. iowapride

iowapride LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I leased a new truck 5 years ago and won't ever lease again. Maybe it was just a bad experience for me but they charged me originally over $3000 when I turned it back in. A few stains in carpet and headliner, leather steering wheel was wore, leather seats showed wear, basically anything they could find. I was over on miles too. I got them talked down to about $2200. Never again for me. I put on too many miles for one and like someone else said, you can't customize your truck to your needs. I know leasing has its pros too so I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I think I just like the idea of ownership and paying on something that I know I can keep in 2 or 3 years.

10. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I leased a Dodge Ram once, went over on my mileage and had a dent in the extended cab, not a big one mind you , and they ended up charging me $9000.00 . On top of that they wouldnt let me take my CD player out or my hitch off.

DONT LEASE