Anyone ever mow with their blades not engaged?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tom'sLandscapeDesign, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Tom'sLandscapeDesign

Tom'sLandscapeDesign LawnSite Member

Because I go distracted and did it last week. Made about 4 passes before I realized I wasnt cutting grass.

You see, on my 3rd to last account of the day, the transmission in my Honda 21 went. At the 2nd to last account, I started mowing with the WB and my dad lifted up the Honda, put it into gear and showed me the wheels still spun if they were in teh air, but as soon as you dropped it down it wouldnt move. I disengaged the blades and idled down to hear him..then just throttled back up and started mowing. Doh!

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Haha, at least you had blades on your machine. That's happened to me before...oops, forgot the put the blades back on after sharpening.

3. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

shhh..I would keep that one quiet..but yes- has happened. I had a relative have me look at his rider..said blades all sharp but cutting like crap..all three blades were put on up side down.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Never happened....

You'd have to be deaf to NOT hear the roar!

I have forgotten to LOWER the deck from transport height though!

5. Beckham

Beckham LawnSite Member

Made me chuckle reading this......Hate to admit it but as the old saying goes if I had a dollar for every time that has happened?:sleeping:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't you just hate it, coming around for pass three (or four) it's like hmmm,
    why ain't that grass looking like it got cut right, hmmmm, say...
    WTF...
    Hmmmm....
    Dammit WTH is wrong with this POS lawn mower!!!

And right about then...
    Ohhhh....

Haven't had this happen in a long time but in my early years it happened more than once.
    Apparently in the later years we get much better at it so that doesn't happen anymore,
    this is a good thing but for some reason THIS comes around:

Same here, more than once.

7. Grubrunner

Grubrunner LawnSite Member

Agreed.

That's one of those things you don't really share with folks.

A bit like that butt-ugly, fat girl we've all got it on with at least once in our lives.....

:sleeping:

8. LuvdaPack36

LuvdaPack36 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I was working with a guy a while back who was in the backyard. I had gotten done with the front and I went back to check on him. He had not engaged the blades. I walked up to him and stopped him. Leaned over and said " hang on, I have something that will help cut the grass better" and engaged the blades.

He just dropped his head and started to laugh.

9. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've had hired help that have done that. I always stop them after the first pass and tell them it was a good looking "warm up" lap but now they can go for the real thing and turn the blades on.

10. LCCaptain

LCCaptain LawnSite Member

I have never done that but I have made a couple passed on my z without dropping the deck down.