Anyone ever plowed with a 2wd truck?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Rcgm, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I got a buddy who plows with a f150 2wd truck and a snobear winch snow plow.Gotta admit seen this truck go thru 6 inches so far.Anyone else ever seen this?

2. bluebyu62

bluebyu62 LawnSite Member

i have a lot of experience with 2 wd plowing. I have a 86 f350 2 wd 12' dumping stake body with an 8' western , i only use it in a flat parking lot and never had a problem. does not always need weight but that would be exra security. As far as pickups, i have 2 85 gmc's, both 4 wd, but when plowing my large lot, i just leave them in 2 wd. Only time i use 4 wd is when i am out on unplowed roads and what not. I also have a 72 chevy pickup with a 7.5' plow and a 2 yard salter which adds plenty of weight and that has never gotten stuck yet!! point is - for an f 150, just make sure you have some weight in the back, and be smart about where you take your vehicle. Carry a cell phone also.

3. plow kid

plow kid Banned

i have a 2 wheel drive dakota that has snoway mounts and i keep it as a back up but it dosent like anything over
    4 inches, if you are windroing(sp?) it can take half a blades width 7.5 as long as you get going before you start the blade into the snow, also 1/2 ton of firewood helps alot
    andersons sells snowbear plows, they only recomend them for light personal use, they cant be too heavy duty if they can be put on a caravan...lol

4. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hey I plow with a 90 dakota 4x4.I just think it is funny how all these guys stop him and say where did you buy that plow and does it work and also is that 2wd.He says yes kinda embaressed but hey he is laughing when those bank lot checks are coming in.

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

A 2WD truck will plow over 2 feet of snow, easily.

~The problem is getting back UP the hill.

Seriously, 2WD plow is possible and in some cases practical, but it's all about MOMENTUM.

6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2WD 1 ton with a dump body that has always pushed just fine. But with me, it is a self security issue. Kind of like that little blanket I had as a kid. I never had any problems because I did not want to get into any situations that looked too risky. The truck could really push some deep stuff and stack it high, but I only plowed on nice level lots.

I do not have employees and all of my family and really close friends are not local, so if out doing snow removal at 3:00 in the morning and I get hung up really bad, I have no one that could help me right away. Everytime I plowed with the truck I felt uneasy. With having other trucks that are 4x4's, I know the value of that front drive axle when you need it.

That is why I got a mount and switched the plow to one of my other trucks that is a 4x4. If I ever have two trucks running, I would not mind one of them being the 2WD dump, but with having only one truck plowing, I feel much better that it is a 4x4.

7. plow kid

plow kid Banned

i have a 90 dakota 4x4, 318 also, great truck, gotta love that snoway, what do you have on your dakota??

8. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Years ago I had a '73 GMC 3/4 ton pickup, 2wd with a 7.5' Meyer on it. It did just fine, had about 500 pounds in the rear. I was careful about where I plowed, but it did work. Next time it will be 4 x 4 though.

Paul

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I pow with a 2 wd every storm, about 75% of the time, but the security of moving the lever for 4 wd is sure nice when I need it. As mowerking says, it just takes more skill to plow with a 2 wd.
    Dino

10. bcngtr

bcngtr LawnSite Member
    from NJ

On my first trip out Dec. 30, the 4WD broke on my 1990 Chevy C/k 1500 so I guess I can say I have plowed using 2WD. I loaded the bed w/ about 1250lbs or so and that helped, however I ended up burning out the clutch b/c I was still getting stuck after backing out of a driveway into the street and having to rock the truck. The guys w/ 4WD were having no problem. Turns out the snap ring in the front rear broke. Luckily it wasn't in the transfer case. I'm looking forward to going out with 4WD.