Anyone ever raise prices one month into the season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim163, May 21, 2008.

1. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

Because I'm about to do it. I can't care. Im going to give them 3 more weeks after I send out letters to agree to my new price or find a new person.

2. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I don't blame you. I'll be doing the same thing. I had 2 customers ask me when I was going to raise their rate and they said they would understand if I did! Everything else is jumping up and it doesn't stop at the begining of the mowing season.

3. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

Amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Just a thought, but it would be best if you at least called them to discuss the matter. You may lose a few with just a letter, its very impersonal for something that should have been addressed before the season started.

5. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep....raised my min price from $35 to $40...due to gas prices...will appy it to new customers for now but my current $35 lawns will get the increase next spring.

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

The way prices (fuel) are rising, by next spring you probably need to raise it to $65

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

$10 fuel surcharge fee per month per customer. My lawns only avg about 6k. Then, over winter, if gas prices don't level out (i.e. if nobody begins rioting to show the gov't it's out of control) - I'll jack 'em all up...

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you call your customer... what are you going to ask them, if its ok that you raise your prices? Go ahead and raise your price, send a letter stating that you have to raise your prices due to current economic environment, I think most if not all of your customers will understand. I would also word it to let them know it may be further price increases if this environment continues. Let them know if they have any questions the can contact you. But I wouldnt ask them!

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this is why some people in this business have such a hard time succeeding...

you didnt know gas was going to be expensive this year, you didnt see on the news that gas would be 4 bucks a gallon...

YOU should have seen this coming and raised your prices in the spring with a letter,

YOU made a contract, either written or verbal to do a job for x amount of dollars for the season....

if YOU cant keep your word, your through......

its the old tough **** law.... you blew it....

i get calls from people every week telling me there guy raised the price after an agreement...

my thoughts, ......:)

10. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

jesus why are you so angry with me.

I'm not raising any of my new customers, theyre priced right. Its the old customers that i didnt raise in the spring. there -am i still such a bad guy? theyre lucky I tried to hold out and see how things went first.im sure they expected a price raise, and it didn't happen. if they complain well then i probably dont want them as a customer anyway. could we consider that the law of tuff shiznit also? I know I wont lose many customers. If I do thats great becase money is made in the side work.