Anyone ever rent hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Jul 27, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Currently I have 1 set of Stihl hedge trimemrs with the 24" bar. They are usually enough for anything I have come up, but I've recently had a large hedge job come up and I really need another set of trimmers. I can't justufy purchasing a new set just for this, so I was thinking about renting a set if I could. The problem is none of my local rental places have any so I will more than likely have to go about an hour or so to find them. My question was if anyone has ever run into this problem and if you have rented them before how much did it cost you. It would only be a one day rental, but I would want to find a set that has a little larger bar than my current ones.

-Brandon

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Never rented one, but around here I'm guessing maybe $20-25 per day.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

we had a thread here last year and the general conclusion was that you could pay off a hedge trimmer in one day of work with it. now even assuming you can't put it to use for hours at a time, it'll still pay for itself much faster than most equipment like say a mower.

i guess you could rent one, but i don't see why.

4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

$60/day for rental or you can buy some decent ones for $300/a couple years..

Buy them now, you won't regret it.

5. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Man its such a waste to rent anything of that caliber, just buy it, go figure if you have to rent it 3 or 4 times then that is the cost of your own right there, and trust me you will need it a lot

6. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

never rented a set

7. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Buy 1 buddy you need a backup anyway:confused: :confused:

Never rented trimmers before.

8. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Spend the 300 and buy a set. Let that shrub job pay for them and you have them to use for years to come

9. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i broke down this year and bought a new stihl hs 80 for the bigger jobs, i already had the hs45 . IT was just to time consuming having to go to the rental place pick up the trimmer and take it back. only have used the 80 one time but its there if i need it . Just the time it took to rent one 3 or 4 times a season could have paid for a new hedge trimmer

10. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

If you can afford it buy it, if not rent it.